Can you point me to a public domain database?

Moderator: kcleung

mzslater
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Can you point me to a public domain database?

Post by mzslater »

I am looking for a public-domain database of music -- not the music itself, not sheet music, not articles, but simply all composers and each of their compositions, in a format that would allow me to import it and build my own interface to browse and supplement the information.

Does such a thing exist? I'd appreciate any pointers or suggestions for where to look.

Thanks,

Michael Slater
Generoso
active poster

Re: Can you point me to a public domain database?

Post by Generoso »

You have found the right place here. Most composers in the Public Domain have been uploaded here and more are added each day. Most composers here also have a List of Works page that have been made by the users in order to help in identifying their entire compositional output. It not only shows all the pieces of a particular composer but also shows which scores are still lacking on this site. These lists as well are being updated daily as works are found. Some composer's works are quite well known (such as Bach) and others are very very confusing (such as Boccherini) This is because he wrote many pieces and used them in many different pieces and changed them slightly from version to version.