Moderator: kcleung

samthegreat
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

MIDI to wav converter

Post by samthegreat »

Hello;

Does anyone know of a decent FREEWARE midi to wav converter? I don't even need an instrument library, just a piano sound is fine. I can't find any online that don't cost 100$, **EDITED: we don't condone cracking software at imslp**
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I've been looking for years...

If someone knows of one, I too would be interested...
jobdf
regular poster

MIDI to wav converter

Post by jobdf »

On Linux I'm using: Timidity++

http://timidity.sourceforge.net/

Features:
Plays MIDI files without any external MIDI instruments at all
Converts MIDI files into various audio file formats: .wav, .au, .aiff, .ogg and so on

Ports/Packages

Many people has ported TiMidity++ into various platforms; FreeBSD, NetBSD, many Linux distributions, Windows (and/or Cygwin environment), and Mac OS are known to have their own versions ...
"
Hope it helps! :D
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Or if you want better sound quality, try FluidSynth (free, cross platform) with e.g. the Bovbjerg Steinway Grand soundfont (free).
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

OP, you need to edit your original post. We do NOT condone cracks for programs or other forms of software pirating.
Cillian64
regular poster

Post by Cillian64 »

I'd agree with jobdf on timidity - it doesn't sound wonderful, but I used it to convert a batch of midis for my iPod, and it worked nicely. Otherwise, you could use any *software* synth and recording software which supports capturing wave output.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

If you have MS-DOS you can use a utility called midi2wav to convert MIDI to WAV files. However, since most people use Windows I doubt this utility (or the old operating system itself) still exists.

The other method should work. It goes like this:
Open your MIDI file on media player (or any program which can open and play MIDI files), and open Windows Sound Recorder. Play the MIDI file and at the same time press the Record button on Sound Recorder. Save the file in WAV format and you're done. You may have to crank up the volume and remove the microphone to remove static.

Hope this works.