Rhapsody in Blue

Moderator: kcleung

Vroke

Rhapsody in Blue

Post by Vroke »

Is there any chance that someone could email me the music for Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue for Solo Piano?

If not, it's ok. Just wondering if I might get lucky.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

No one can email or PM anyone. But if you find a reputable PD score website (Wirner Icking, Indiana etc. etc.), that is okay. I believe it is PD in the US and Canada (Australia), not sure about EU.
sixhobbits
regular poster

Rhapsody in Blue

Post by sixhobbits »

Hi Vroke

Um... deleted - Yagan
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

It is most definitely not public domain in the US. The Ferde Grofe (d. 1972) orchestration is still protected worldwide. The oringinal piano versions first published in Gershwin's lifetime are free in Canada and the EU as well.
sixhobbits
regular poster

Rhapsody in Blue

Post by sixhobbits »

My score clearly states: Copyright 1927 by Harms Inc. N.Y.

This was over 80 years ago!

George Gershwin died in 1937. Now more than 70 years. This means that as a composer he is in the public domain in the U.S. as well as Canada.

To quote
Carolus George Gershwin died in 1937 (and is now public domain in most of the world) many of the songs he's famous for are still under copyright - even in Canada. Why? because the lyrics were penned by his brother Ira, who lived until 1983
As far as I know, Rhapsody in Blue has no lyrics. My edition certainly doesn't.
"The Ferde Grofe (d. 1972) orchestration is still protected worldwide"

Arranged for Piano solo. No orchestration...

I don't appreciate having my post deleted, but I suppose you Admins only have IMSLP's best interests at heart.
imslp
Site Admin

Re: Rhapsody in Blue

Post by imslp »

Carolus did, in fact, say that the original piano version is free in Canada and EU (but not the US because it was first published after 1922). I believe Yagan deleted your post as a reaction to Carolus saying that any version of the Rhapsody is not PD in the US, where this forum is hosted.

Generally, requests for e-mailing/PMing scores, or advertisements of score availability, are not encouraged here because of two reasons: 1) there may be copyright issues, and we do not want this forum to become a trading place for copyrighted stuff, and 2) this is, after all, an IMSLP forum and not a general music forum; the "Chatter" section is for random chatter between IMSLP contributors and users, not for systematic score requests.

Hope this helps! :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

After the issues are resolved (with UE) we will likely become more lenient.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I would guess that means the "Score Requests" forum can be reopened once IMSLP is back up?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Absolutely, I will also create the language forum (for some other languages other than English)
Sergeï
regular poster

Post by Sergeï »

I don't mean to perform any thread necro or anything, but the comment about the opening of sections in other languages than English caught my attention.

Though I speak English quite fluently, having lived in English-speaking countries half my life, my native language is French. Depending on how my exams go (I'm sitting them right now), odds are that from September, I'll be having a lot of free time on my hands. I would be more than delighted to help anything regarding French pages (they should work decently well: not only is France a country which shows decent interest in music, I also know many Russians who speak French well enough, and quite honestly I have yet to meet a more music-enthusiastic people than the Russians!).
"We love art because life is not enough." - Fernando Pesora