What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Moderator: kcleung

Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

I'm now listening to Scheherazade and Capriccio Espagnol, both by Rimsky-Korsakov. Great masterpieces of orchestration.
Sergeï
regular poster

Post by Sergeï »

I love Russian music. In fact, I'm listening to some right now :P

Tchaikovsky, Symphony n°6, "Pathétique", Karajan interpretation.

About the Mozart effect: I have just been informed by my mother that I have been exposed to such music before being born (Mozart and Beethoven's 9th mainly). I may now become a genius any moment.
"We love art because life is not enough." - Fernando Pesora
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

John Williams: Jurassic Park.

I don't care what anyone says, it is great music.
pocoallegro
forum adept

Post by pocoallegro »

Howells: Hymnus Paradisi
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Honestly never heard of it.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

I've heard it on the radio now and then, but being a classical music geek it's not one that I have a recording of.

It's a nice relaxing song.

I loaded up my iPod and set it up on random shuffle mode - and the first piece of music that came out was...

Mozart - Andante for Flute and Orchestra (K.315)

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Sanfior
regular poster

Post by Sanfior »

Well, right now I'm listening Dvorak cello concerto plaed by Jacqueline du Pre. I like this interpretation SO much! When I heard it for first time I didn't believe, that the soloist is woman. So much expression and power in the sound!
Sincerely,
Sanfior.
wurlitzer153
forum adept

Post by wurlitzer153 »

Beethoven - Symphony No. 7 Finale - MIDI transcription
I just finished it!

Wild!
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Well, right now I'm listening Dvorak cello concerto plaed by Jacqueline du Pre. I like this interpretation SO much! When I heard it for first time I didn't believe, that the soloist is woman. So much expression and power in the sound!
Just wondering...why would it be a surprise that a woman should play so well? If we females are supposed to be more emotional (as some claim), then it would be expected that we would play the cello better than men!

(I don't play the cello - but most of the amateur cellists in my circle of friends are women. Some of them are very petite and would easily hide behind the cello, but their expression and power are awesome!)

I heard a similar discussion once about males and flutes. Any thoughts on that one?

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
wurlitzer153
forum adept

Post by wurlitzer153 »

Virtual Wurlitzer style 146 band organ - Hands Across the Sea - Sousa
~John :)
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

aldona wrote:(I don't play the cello - but most of the amateur cellists in my circle of friends are women. Some of them are very petite and would easily hide behind the cello, but their expression and power are awesome!)
Similarly, most of the cellists I know are women, and certainly the best ones I've played with were women.
I heard a similar discussion once about males and flutes. Any thoughts on that one?
I've been reading a fairly old book that describes flautists as follows:
Woodwinds and Their History, Anthony Baines, p52 wrote:A flute player in the orchestra, leaning back comfortably in his chair, often forcibly brings to mind the god Pan resting against his forest tree and fluting magic spells;
Not exactly the image that comes to mind nowadays, at least here in the US...
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I know quite a few cellists that I would say are very expressive, most of whom are female. Two of these women recently won concerto competitions, and I must say I have rarely seen such beautiful playing in my life. It may be true that much of the classical music scene (especially conducting) is still - due to outdated traditions - dominated by males, but this is certainly changing and it is obvious now that both genders are equally qualified. I believe that last year the Baltimore Symphony became the first major symphony orchestra in the country to take on a woman as its conductor (Marin Alsop, who is absolutely fantastic).
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

ras1 wrote:(Marin Alsop, who is absolutely fantastic).
Yes, she is... She lead the Colorado Symphony for some years, so naturally we (Coloradans) are very proud of her. :-)
Sanfior
regular poster

Post by Sanfior »

Just wondering...why would it be a surprise that a woman should play so well? If we females are supposed to be more emotional (as some claim), then it would be expected that we would play the cello better than men!

[/quote]

100% agree! Jacqueline du Pre is my favourite cellist from all men and women.
Sincerely,
Sanfior.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

This morning on my way to work I listened to the Trio in G minor for Piano, Flute and Cello by C.M. von Weber (Op.63).

I had heard little bits of it before, but this time I was a captive audience for 1/2 hour so I heard the whole work.

It is a beautiful piece. (and just above my comfort zone as far as flute playing - so it would give me something to aim for.)

I will definitely have to add it to my wish list.

Aldona