What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Moderator: kcleung

aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

aldona wrote:This morning on my way to work I listened to the Trio in G minor for Piano, Flute and Cello by C.M. von Weber (Op.63).

I had heard little bits of it before, but this time I was a captive audience for 1/2 hour so I heard the whole work.

It is a beautiful piece. (and just above my comfort zone as far as flute playing - so it would give me something to aim for.)

I will definitely have to add it to my wish list.
Found a copy...now undertaking look-up and search to determine copyright status. If in luck, will definitely scan & upload. 8)

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
wurlitzer153
forum adept

Post by wurlitzer153 »

Virtual Wurlitzer 146 band organ - Ben Hur Chariot Race - E.T. Paull
~John :)
sixhobbits
regular poster

Post by sixhobbits »

Doesn't anyone listen to Rachmaninoff Concertos (Concerti?) anymore?
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Not at the moment...Maybe you picked the wrong time to ask a random selection of forum users... tomorrow it could be different and everybody could be listening to Rachmaninoff.

I'm at work at the moment and have just finished removing a skin cancer from someone's arm.

With the Quantz Flute Concerto in G (yes, the well-known one that all of us flute players seem to learn as one of our first concertos) playing in the background.

Performed by Simion Stanciu ('Syrinx') on the pan-flute, of course.

I have another procedure to do now and I think I'll put on the Vanhal Flute Quartets (Op.7).

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Will W W
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Will W W »

Also sprach Zarathustra by the great Richard Strauss :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
If a composition has an awesome horn part...
... it is definitely a good piece!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Shame most people only know the first 1-2 minutes...
Johanny S. the 3

Post by Johanny S. the 3 »

Hy favorite peace ever is Schubert string quintet (with two cellos).
i can hear this peace from the beginning to the and two, three (four) times a day (its a 50 minute peace)
I've actually heard that a lot of metal fans are also classical fans... dunno whether it works the other way, though...
I listen to classical music and metal....
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

It's good when you find a piece like that, that you can listen to over and over again and it never loses its appeal. (Or does the piece find you?)

And I know a few people who like metal and classical music.

Schubert Quintet....mmm...beautiful, but I have to be in the right kind of mood.

When I was telling a friend about it the first time I had ever heard it right through, he said "...it's not a very happy piece, is it?"

Things I have listened to in the past couple of days (both on the radio and on the iPod):

- F. Devienne: Flute Concerto No. 7 in E minor
- Schubert: Duo Sonata in A for Piano + Violin, D.574 (no, it's not a "violin sonata" with piano accompaniment - if you listen you will very quickly realise that both performers are very much equal partners)
- Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor. I like this one better than the "Emperor" concerto, and over the past few days I have had cravings to listen to the 1st movement over and over again. Thank goodness for iPods.

Aldona
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor. I like this one better than the "Emperor" concerto, and over the past few days I have had cravings to listen to the 1st movement over and over again.
Agreed. Emperor has it's (very good) moments, but half of the concerto seems to be bravura scales and nothing else.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hmm, not to me though. I can listen to the whole Emperor concerto the whole day without getting bored. And if I follow the score (which I have), I always find new things which I never noticed before.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

The "Emperor" is brilliantly dazzling but I love the dark mood of the C minor concerto - if it was a film soundtrack then you would be on the edge of your seat all the time waiting for something menacing to happen.

The whole 1st movement is 12 minutes of a cross between "barely controlled rage" and "impending doom" (aren't all of Beethoven's C minor works like this?), and the final coda after the cadenza builds up to a final exhilarating explosion as if all the composer's medications and "anger management" sessions have worn off at once.

But that's just me - I love things in deep, dark, brooding, malevolent minor keys. (Mozart in D minor, Beethoven in C minor or Schubert in B minor.)

Aldona
wurlitzer153
forum adept

Post by wurlitzer153 »

Saint-Saens - Organ Symphony - Finale

What a blast!
~John :)
GeorgeChopin

Post by GeorgeChopin »

Franz liszt Piano Concerto No 1 in E Flat.

Man, what a rock and roll concert!
He doesn't go as crazy as he does on his solo works though (like his Hungarian Rhapsodies) Shame :(

Ooh, it's changed now. Now onto his second piano concerto in A :)
pocoallegro
forum adept

Post by pocoallegro »

I'm a British music nut - this morning I listened to John Ireland's "The Forgotten Rite" for orchestra and Herbert Howells' Organ Sonata (no. 2). Two drastically different but gorgeous pieces.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I've been listening to Dvorak's Carnival Overture a lot now, since the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra played it at their first concert with the Gufs, last night. They also played Bagley's National Emblem March and the theme from Indiana Jones. All were played fantastically.

I'm not sure if they played any pieces at the end of the concert, because I left during the last Gufs song to beat the traffic. I hope they didn't, so as I didn't miss anything.

I also attended a Milwaukee Symphony Concert on the 14th, in which they played Shosty's 5th Symphony, Mendelssohn's 1st Piano Concerto with Arnaldo Cohen, and Liszt's Les Preludes (I also attended an MSO concert on April 4th, in which they performed a freakishly sublime Rite of Spring and Beethoven's 6th).