Intro for a halfhearted musician...

Moderator: kcleung

SanFranciscoBayAlien

Intro for a halfhearted musician...

Post by SanFranciscoBayAlien »

Hello, I'd like to start out by stating that I wouldn't be considered a musician by any sub-elitist standards. I've never finished theory, ear trainint, and couldn't afford an instrument much lest tutoring for one! I'm actually studying for a BA in Animation in a commercial art school that also teaches some audio editing just recently...I have a long term goal of making my own films, and the majority of my stores were inspired by a few composers I've grown fond of; Dvorak, Villa-Lobos, Xavier Montsavaltage, etc...and I wished to compose work for mine or other films as well. Sadly I still can't transcribe anything that comes into my head so almost all the melodies I've come up with this past decade have dissappeared...hopefully I can show you all some of my artwork inspired from these legends however! I have only a minor disability so if anything's misunderstood let me know privately and I'll try to fix it to make to post more clairfiable...
emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

Meh, we're not elitists here. Welcome! :-)
bachrocks1312

Post by bachrocks1312 »

yeah what emeraldimp said. I've studied voice and piano for over eight years now and I'm still too lazy to master the theory. most of us are just here to enjoy the music like yourself :wink:
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Some might call me Elitist, but that is only because there definition of Elitist is 'classical music'. I don't believe I am elitist, and while I don't want the contents of Classical Music repertoire to be distorted (I don't like the idea of Mozart in a band (or vice versa)), I do want classical music to be more popular.

That said, I feel there are problems with classical music being the popular genre, that being a dilution of capable composers. But that isn't going to happen any time soon.. :P
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I feel that the line between classical and pop music is being blurred, with more classically trained musicians playing classical music in a pop style.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

And as long as there remains accurate classical performers and players, I don't have to go to the other concerts.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I would agree with that.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

I don't know - if a rock band wants to base songs on Gregorian chant or if Jethro Tull wants to play Bach and Fauré, I'm fine with that. At least they're introducing classical music to a wider community.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I do too, my only worry (and it is only a worry) is that this may affect the quality of actual classical musicians. And while I enjoy Jethro Tull, some modern... alternatives... are not my taste and I shall avoid them at all costs.
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with that! Of the music I actively listen to, 98% of it is classical (and about half of that is Renaissance choral music), and the rest is almost all musicals. I see myself as quite musically diverse (I mean, my tastes span about 5 centuries), but many people tend to think I'm close-minded because I "only like classical."
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Personally, the only work that combines both elements of classical (opera) and pop that appeals to me is The Phantom of the Opera. Feel free to comment.
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

Well, I think that's theren't not much operatic influence on the regular arias/numbers of the show (except for the Think of Me cadenza), but definitely a lot of the transition / background music is operatic in nature. The only way I would have to really describe the main vocal numbers is "AndrewLloydWebberish". By the way, did you know that in every cast that has done the show, their Christine records her vocals at the end of the "Phantom of the Opera" song, to use for each performance? Understandably so, because you'd totally blow out your voice singing that 8 times a week. I'm not sure if she prerecords the Think of Me cadenza too; probably not, because it's so short?
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hmm, I didn't know that. For the cadenza part of Think of Me, is it possible that the last note, the highest note, is prerecorded, if not the whole cadenza?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I'll just add the following paraphrase of a comment I heard one time from the director of an art museum in response to the question: "Is this museum elitist?"

Yes, it is. But all that's required to become a member of the elite is to walk through those doors.
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

I'm not sure. It's a high C. One high C a night wouldn't kill you, I would think.