uploading new music (preview only - link to sale)

Moderator: kcleung

khkokopelli
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

uploading new music (preview only - link to sale)

Post by khkokopelli »

Hi y'all
After years of using the library, I may actually have something to contribute. For the last 4 years, my composer pal and I have been working on a project that has just about wrapped up. It is a 4 part song-cycle based on poems by Robert Burns for flute, guitar, baritone voice and bass. 100% of sale of the score and recording will go to the UK-based cancer charity, Bloodwise. I'm looking for any and all ways to get exposure for the project and thought about IMSLP.

I know I've seen pieces on IMSLP that have links to purchase, so I know it is possible to do so (or at least it was the last time I looked). Has anybody here done this before? How do you go about it? Any advice? Advice in general?

Thanks!

Kim/Jorge
coulonnus
active poster

Re: uploading new music (preview only - link to sale)

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps you have seen links to purchase a printed copy of a score e.g. https://imslp.org/wiki/Livres_de_tablat ... er,_Denis)

But the pdf of this score is accessible on imslp for free.
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: uploading new music (preview only - link to sale)

Post by Choralia »

There were few examples in the past where an author published on IMSLP, under a CC license, some pieces of a collection, while the whole collection was only available for purchase. The intent of the author (as well as of the publisher) was to promote sales of the whole collection through samples made available under CC conditions on IMSLP.

At that time IMSLP applied the principle that individual scores published on IMSLP must be "usable" as stand-alone items. IMSLP did not accept partial previews, incomplete pages, low resolution images, etc. . It was acceptable that the collection was only partially published on IMSLP, however the individual scores published on IMSLP had to be 100% usable.

This is one of the pieces of a collection ("Carlo Milanuzzi da Santa Natoglia", published by Rugginenti, ISBN 978-88-7665-552-4) that is available on IMSLP according to the principle above:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Adaperiat_cor_no ... %2C_Carlo)

Under the same principle you may possibly make available some songs of your song cycle on IMSLP, and then place a reference to the complete work on the relevant pages so as to get exposure for your project.

Max