posting my copyrighted arrangement of a PD work

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Daktari12
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

posting my copyrighted arrangement of a PD work

Post by Daktari12 »

I am a professional engraver, and have made an edition of a work written by Francesco Brusa, which I used to self-publish and sell. I want to stop selling it, and to make it available to the public for free. I am super-confused about how to publish it on IMSLP. I get the sense that I have to create a composer page for myself, and then upload the work to it, then link that to the existing Francesco Brusa page. Is that correct? It seems really odd. Or do i need to create a composer page for myself, and then that will allow me to upload to the composer page?

I would prefer not to have a composer page for myself if possible, but it is more important to me to have this work available for posterity (it is to my knowledge the only edition of this work).

To re-state - the work is P.D., and was engraved and edited by myself, and has a copyright notice in my name on it (from 2003). If i need to get a Creative Commons license, i would get the one that allows all non-commercial use 9but am not too concerned about that).

Any help appreciated. I have read about iton IMSLP, but remain befuddled.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: posting my copyrighted arrangement of a PD work

Post by coulonnus »

Does the corresponding work page already exist for the PD version? Then go into Add File, New Arrangement, Arrangements and transcriptions. Enter your name into the Arranger field. When done you will be able to access the newly created category page when you click on Arranger. See e.g. https://imslp.org/wiki/Suite_in_D_minor ... Ferdinand). Do you accept such an arranger page?

Or is it only an edition, not arranged?
Sallen112
active poster

Re: posting my copyrighted arrangement of a PD work

Post by Sallen112 »

You have to create a category page for yourself in order to upload your own works on IMSLP. If you wanted, you could create a Pseudo-name if you do not want to use your real name.