2024 PD releases

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

msacuthbert
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

2024 PD releases

Post by msacuthbert »

Hello! I'm wondering how best to request changes to Copyright/PD statuses for the January 1, 2024 change (or each year). I'm seeing the 1928 UE publication of Webern's 5 Canons, Opus 16 (https://imslp.org/wiki/5_Canons,_Op.16_(Webern,_Anton)) is still listed as Non-PD US, but I believe that it now is PD. (I have a new edition to upload as soon as it is).

Prokofiev is, I believe, now PD-EU which will be a major gain. (Arnold Bax, a small gain).

For US users, Stravinsky's Apollo in the 1928 edition (scanned on Alexander Street Press) is now PD, and Three Penny Opera. (Ravel's Bolero, though premiered in 1928 wasn't published until 1929).

Just wondering about correct procedures to make more scores available. Thank you!
Sallen112
active poster

Re: 2024 PD releases

Post by Sallen112 »

If your referring to the copyright statuses on files, the tags in each region get updated with the internal clock on the 1st so it might take a bit of time for the site to fully update all files (usually probably about a day I think) for everything to move over to the years, removing the Non-PD notices. So you don't need to worry about the notices at all as those can lag behind a bit.

About Stravinsky's Apollon musagète, K048, only the original non-revised version from 1928 is PD-USA. The Boosey and Hawkes Edition from 1949 is a revised edition and has a new copyright until 2045 currently in the USA, so if you do not want to violate copyright in your region, you need to get access to the 1928 edition instead and don't use the B & H edition.
DBMiller
active poster

Re: 2024 PD releases

Post by DBMiller »

Simply put, you don't request changes on January 1. The copyright dates are entered automatically.

You are free, as always, to submit anything that's eligible to be uploaded — meaning in the public domain in Canada (main server uploads) or the United States (PML-US uploads).

As for Apollon musagète: the B&H editions are just slightly modified reprints of the RMV edition.