Liszt's songs for voice and Piano.

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

tommy_kingma

Liszt's songs for voice and Piano.

Post by tommy_kingma »

:oops: I'm really really sorry if I disturb someone by doing this, but, could it be possible to review the copyright of the songs by Franz Liszt currenty uploaded to the site?

If they're copyrighted, I will buy them in a music store; but if they're public domain, could the archives be unlocked?

I ask this because I'm a classical voice student and my repertory for the next semester is mostly of songs by Liszt. I'm specially interested in "Es muss ein wunderbares sein".

Thanks in advance.
varnis
forum adept

Post by varnis »

As far as i can see there was no data on publisher or editor given in teh upload, and while its likely that the piece IS in the public domain it may be impossible to tell for sure.
tommy_kingma

Post by tommy_kingma »

I found out facts that may help. First, (when IMSLP was had not yet closed in 2007) I got to print a copy of one of the songs (Freudvoll und leidvoll). Here it says the english translation was done by "Manney" which is Charles Fonteyn Manney (1872-1951).

Also, doing some more google research I found out the song book was published in 1911 by Oliver Ditson (1811-1888) company in Boston, MA. and was reprinted in 1975 by Dover. Here is information about the original printing house: http://peterhadams.com/history_of_olive ... ompany.htm

Finally, the editor is called Carl Ambruster, but can't find his dates. Hopes this information does help a little bit more.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Liszt's songs for voice and Piano.

Post by Peter »

All songs are reviewed now. Everything that's in pd should be accessible. At last, we're nearing completion now, with only 275 files to go (coming from 10000...)