General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Copyright review - Britten, Penderecki, Cowell, Messiaen

Post by Carolus »

I noticed a few files up for review by Cowell, Britten, Penderecki, and Messiaen, plus a couple of articles for Mahler (Piano 5tet) and Soler.

Most of the Cowell pieces are early piano works which are free in the USA (The Irish Legends and the Ings). The Banshee and the Snows of Fujiyama are still protected. Some of the PD titles had CDSM logos which must be removed. The Britten, Messiaen, and Penderecki works are all under copyright, as are the new editions of Mahler and Soler.

I changed the category of the Image files to Articles for Deletion or Copyright Reviewed, but they seem to have disappeared altogether!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ah.... there's an edit conflict :) Basically, Leonard was dealing with the files today too, and I told him to be on the safe side and delete them, which is I guess also why your edits never appeared in the recent changes list (and so no one knew about them). In any case, a bulk of the problem files should be gone; there was some discussion on Soler, and apparently the person who did this had put the files in the public domain on his site (there's a link to the page on some of the later Soler Sonatas; see the news entry Oct. 14, 2005). Do you think what he said is enough, or should I contact the copyright owner anyway?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. On the Soler, it's always a good idea to have permission in writing from the actual claimant in the event they sold their copyright to someone else who wished for it to be removed.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'll contact the Soler copyright owner right now. Also, just a heads up, I left a message on your user talk page on the wiki :)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Bump.

I notice the harpsichord sonatas and concertos by Antonio Soler are still in the stack of 1000-odd copyright review items, a year on from the post by Feldmahler above. What was the outcome of writing to Ray Izumi? (chateaugris.com)

To my knowledge, very few of the ~100+ sonatas were ever published, so that the first publication for many of them is likely to have been the urtext complete works publications by Rubio and Marvin [Samuel Rubio (1912-1986); Frederick Marvin (1926- )]. Each published their editions comparatively recently: Rubio in Spain from 1984-87, Marvin in the US from 1976-82. Presumably Izumi's editions are reliant on these publications (unless he has transcribed directly from MS), raising the spectre of copyright violation even in terms of Urtext editions, let alone 50pma or 70pma copyrights that may pertain to editors.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Bump.

This is just to move this thread to the top of the pile again, since I am still unconvinced there are not copyvio issues with Soler. (i.e. there is an issue to be resolved. Sorry for that double negative!)

PML :)
--
PML (talk)
Matthieu
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Matthieu »

I made several attempt by the past to contact Ray Izumi in order to clarify the copyright status of his Soler edition. Unfortunately none of the email addresses I found on the web (including the one mentionned on the "Chateau Gris" site) are valid. I think it will be pretty hard
to contact him... unless he reads this topic :D
ThaSchwab
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by ThaSchwab »

Penderecki is still alive, so it's kind of stupid to upload any of his scores.