Grainger (in the US)

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

thefrenchhornguy
regular poster

Grainger (in the US)

Post by thefrenchhornguy »

If my sources are correct, then it is true that Percy Grainger's works (at least, most of them) are PD in the U.S. Now, if that is true, is it possible to post them on IMSLP but not make them available for download in countries (like Canada) that he is not PD in? I think that if this is possible, as it may or may not be, that waiting until 2012, when he is PD everywhere, is pointless. Why deprive users who have legal access to Grainger's work of his music simply because he is not in the public domain everywhere? Perhaps I don't fully understand the Grainger controversy, but if I am correct, it should be possible to post Grainger on IMSLP for U.S. access.
Melodia
active poster

Re: Grainger (in the US)

Post by Melodia »

(sorry, didn;'t see the other post -_-)
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Grainger (in the US)

Post by Carolus »

Unfortunately, Canada does not employ the Berne Convention option of "Rule of the Shorter Term" - which the EU does employ (for Non-EU works). Therefore, even though most of Grainger's works are free in the USA - including his most famous work, the Lincolnshire Posy - they remain protected in Canada until 1/1/2012. Grainger became a USA citizen in 1918, so it's possible that works published before that date are actually still protected in the EU, though works published after that date whose US copyright has expired could be free in the EU thanks to "Rule of the Shorter Term." If and when IMSLP opens up a USA server, Grainger titles should be available there.