General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

Hey there,

Just for your interest, here is the script I use (combined with the find command and pdftk; convert is part of ImageMagick). It results in pdfs half the size of the .pngs (which are generally ~157kB for me). Works in Linux, and probably would work in OS X, too.

Code: Select all

find *.png -exec png2pdf.sh {} \;
png2pdf.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
echo "Converting $1 to pdf"
convert "$1" -compress Group4 -monochrome "$(basename "$1" .png).pdf"
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

imslp wrote:Hmm... the problem is not with your scanner, or the resolution (the high resolution is good!), but the fact that even though the scan is monochrome, it is stored as a color image. I've forced conversion to monochrome, and uploaded the result... and as you can see, even though the image is the same, the size is only 96KB :)

What program are you using to create PDF files? Is there a way to force the scanned image to save to monochrome? Also avoid saving to JPG files like the plague; JPG is both color and lossy. Instead, try TIFF or PNG, though you will still have to find a way to force it into a monochrome image. This basically depends on what kind of PDF creation setup you have... I'll give more advice once you tell me what programs you are using :)

Also, do try to see if you can convert the scan into TIFF; it makes things so much easier :)
To create PDF files I'm just using the control panel of the scanner... Epson SmartPanel, v 5.60E. When I click on "Finish", indicating that I'm done scanning and I want to save the file(s), it asks me what file format I want. The choices are BMP, PCX, TIF, JPG, JPEG-progressive, PCT, or PDF. I select one and it saves the file(s).
I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

I can't see a setting (in any of the above) that I can change to make it save as monochrome.

If you can give me some advice on how to force conversion to monochrome, then another piece of the puzzle will fall into place.

(the simpler the better...I really have no formal training in computers, just know how to use them as a very basic tool, anything more complicated will be passed on to my husband or our student housemate.)

On a brighter note, I have tried scanning a couple of pages in 300dpi mode and the image still seems nice and clear while reducing the bandwidth (from just over 6MB per page to just over 1MB per page.)

aldona
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

To create PDF files I'm just using the control panel of the scanner... Epson SmartPanel, v 5.60E. When I click on "Finish", indicating that I'm done scanning and I want to save the file(s), it asks me what file format I want. The choices are BMP, PCX, TIF, JPG, JPEG-progressive, PCT, or PDF. I select one and it saves the file(s).
I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

I can't see a setting (in any of the above) that I can change to make it save as monochrome.

If you can give me some advice on how to force conversion to monochrome, then another piece of the puzzle will fall into place.

(the simpler the better...I really have no formal training in computers, just know how to use them as a very basic tool, anything more complicated will be passed on to my husband or our student housemate.)
Since you have Acrobat 7.0, this should be fairly easy :) There are many ways to convert to monochrome if you can save the file as a BMP file. For example, you can open the file in Paint, and save it while selecting monochrome in the save dialog. My only worry is that because the image may be fairly large, opening it might be slow, depending on the amount of memory you have. If it is too slow, tell me and I'll find another way to convert to monochrome.

I don't use Acrobat, but I'm fairly sure from other people using it that it can convert images to PDF. However, are you sure it is Adobe Acrobat and not Adobe Acrobat Reader? The two are worlds apart (Acrobat proper is hellva expensive haha). If it is the Reader and not Acrobat itself, you can create the PDF files from the images by printing to a PDF printer in Paint, in which case you will need this PDF printer (PDFcreator):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=442172

Download and install the first file, and you should be set. Of course, if you have Acrobat proper you don't have to install this.
On a brighter note, I have tried scanning a couple of pages in 300dpi mode and the image still seems nice and clear while reducing the bandwidth (from just over 6MB per page to just over 1MB per page.)
You will be surprised how little size difference there is between 300dpi and 720dpi when it is converted to monochrome and compressed correctly :) This is because of the way the compression algorithm works... usually the difference is minimal with resolution change. That's why I would perfer 720dpi if possible :)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I don't use Acrobat, but I'm fairly sure from other people using it that it can convert images to PDF. However, are you sure it is Adobe Acrobat and not Adobe Acrobat Reader?
You're right, my bad...it is Acrobat Reader.
I have now tried to install the PDF creator, and while it has downloaded successfully, it is giving me error messages when I try to install it.
Back to the drawing board...

After yesterday's success with the Fischerlied, I felt invincible and I went ahead and scanned "Der Hirt auf dem Felsen" (Schubert, D.965). Then I tried to upload it and again it wouldn't go through.

I'll try again tonight, this time re-scanned in a different format.
(and I'll try to get the menfolk onto the PDF creator problem...)

aldona
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Try and see if at least converting to monochrome works :) There are ways to do this that is much faster, but is also somewhat harder (though I guess it isn't that bad if you get used to it).

For example, it is really trivial to do what you want to do using Imagemagick and libtiff, but you will have to be somewhat familiar with the command line... an tutorial can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... ial76.html

You don't have to know everything on that site; the only thing you need to know for this to work is how to change the directory and maybe copy files (really very basic).

If you want to try this way of doing it, tell me and I'll tell you more about how to use Imagemagick and libtiff. Otherwise, we'll have to go the PDFCreator route, which is more trouble and slower but easier I suppose :)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Have successfully uploaded the Schubert Quartet D.96...now I am trying to add it to the work page and it won't accept my attempts to enter the file-name. I am just cutting-and-pasting "Schubert_Quartet_D96_(Full_Score).pdf" into the "filename" box but it doesn't recognize it.

This is the message I get:

File not found (file name given is Schubert_Quartet_D96_(Full_Score).pdf‎, processed page name of the file is Schubert Quartet D96 (Full Score).pdf‎). Please upload file before filling this form.

probably something really basic that I've overlooked. (trying to remember how I did it last time.)

In the meantime I'll scan some more...

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

OK, I've worked it out now. :oops:

If there's anything that I could be doing better, please let me know.

(this is very exciting...there will be no stopping me now)

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

aldona wrote:(this is very exciting...there will be no stopping me now)
Hahahaha... sounds evil ;)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

imslp wrote:
aldona wrote:(this is very exciting...there will be no stopping me now)
Hahahaha... sounds evil ;)
No...excitement is a force which can be used for good :D or for evil. :evil:

It's only evil if I submit copyrighted scores! But then the Enlightened Ones can banish them and good will prevail.

aldona
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

aldona wrote:It's only evil if I submit copyrighted scores! But then the Enlightened Ones can banish them and good will prevail.
Hehehehe... ;)

Also, since you are submitting Schubert songs, I'll just note that you should ignore the AWP page... the concept of it is broken, and I'm going to eventually move everything on that page to separate pages. Instead, you can create a work page for each song/cycle; though try to group them into one page if possible (i.e. if they are part of a cycle or such).
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

What I've been doing so far is to put songs for solo voice and piano only into the AWP page, and putting songs in other configurations into their own page.
E.g. - partsong
- song for solo voice, piano + another instrument
-etc

As for all solo songs (not part of a cycle) having their own individual pages, are you sure??? There are over 600 of them (no, I don't have all of them, except in a CD Sheet Music edition, which is not entirely complete). This could cause all kinds of mayhem with the listing on the composer page once significant numbers of them start appearing.

How about listing the solo Schubert-Lieder in alphabetical order by title? Thus you could have sub-categories e.g. A-C, D-G, etc. (ignoring "der", "die" and "das").

aldona
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

aldona wrote:How about listing the solo Schubert-Lieder in alphabetical order by title? Thus you could have sub-categories e.g. A-C, D-G, etc. (ignoring "der", "die" and "das").
This can be done currently using category intersections (which is how the other sub-categories are done). This would mean displaying all the works which are in both categories (Schubert and Song). The problem is that if there are so many work pages under Schubert, all the work pages should be in some subcategory, but the category intersection logic is primitive and not designed for it (it cannot, for example, find all articles which are in the Schubert category but <i>not</i> the Song category). However, I'm planning to expand this hopefully soon (though I have a frightfully long list of programming stuff I have to do on my user page lol, we'll see how it goes). For now you can just submit each song to a separate page... it'll take a while before it gets to anywhere near 600 anyway, so I have some time before then :)

I know trying to figure out how to classify Schubert songs is quite hard because of the amount... which is why I had the AWP. But the problem with the AWP is that it is a pain to search for anything in it, and it is also hard for people to submit different editions of one song to the same work page... :/