Persuading estates to convert non-PD works to CC

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Persuading estates to convert non-PD works to CC

Post by kcleung »

It is widely known that Chinese symphonic works are notoriously difficult to get because they are usually only printed *once* in a small run during the first publication and then *NOT* reprinted. As a result, many magnificent Chinese symphonic works remain unknown to the rest of the world. Therefore I believe that IMSLP/IMDBP and Creative Commons are the best ways to make Chinese compositions known to the rest of the world.

There are some deceased Chinese composer whose copyright are still effective. The first hurdle would be to persuade estates of deceased composers to change the license of their works to Creative Commons.

Once they principally agree, then is it true that the estate now need to establish whether they have the copyright or the publisher has the copyright? I know that there are three types of copyrights:

composer
editor
typesetter

So is it correct that the estates must ensure that the publisher must *not* own the composer copyright?

Then I have to make sure that the score I get does not have significant modifications from any external editor (which is unlikely for the composer in my mind), and once I reach this stage, all I have to do is to re-typeset the works to circumvent the *typesetter's* copyright. Am I correct?

I am new to copyright handling and please give me more guidance.

If you are Feldmahler, or are genuinely interested in Chinese Symphonic works and have contacts with Creative Commons or live in Philadelphia (where I believe most of the relatives live in), please send me a private message offline to discuss about persuading the estate of the composer in my mind.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Persuading estates to convert non-PD works to CC

Post by Carolus »

It's a wonderful idea, and we already have a few cases of this. Most recently, a new contributor has been uploading items from a couple of German composers with the blessing of the heirs and copyright owners. Posting items on IMSLP constitutes publication according to the legal definition for many, probably most, countries. Obviously, IMSLP/PML is not interested in acting as a regular music publisher - collecting royalties and rental fees, etc. The main point to remember is that items posted here will be available at no charge to whoever wishes to download them.
Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

A great idea. I have a couple of orchestral works in full score by Chinese composers which I'd like to share.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

What would be even more wonderful - getting the estates of Varese, Messiaen, Dallapicolla, Stravinsky, Rachmaninov, etc....the sky's the limit! If anyone wants to try, we will back you wholeheartedly!
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"