General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

status tagging

Post by Peter »

In the light of the recent problematic submissions, I think I'm going to expand the current tagging system. The number of new contributors is growing, and naturally the number of non-PD contributions is growing too. We all seem to be in a shortage of time, and it's hard to keep track of all submissions. We're almost forced to check each submission daily so they won't get lost. Therefore, a tagging system would be powerful to manage the verification work.

I would tag each file or work with one of the following, and the default tag of each submission being Unchecked:
* Unchecked: for each new submission
* CopyrightReview: PD status not sure
* Checked: Probably PD, but not identified completely
* Verified: publication definitely identified: PD / Personal / CC-SA etc.. The special PD cases would receive the existing templates of course.

The options are that we just create another additional field in the file template, or that we replace the current Copyright field, which has little use as 99% has the value public domain.

comments?
emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

A concern I've had for a while is the fact that the file-to-work-page relationship is (potentially) many-to-many; it would be good to have some way to verify the tags for the files themselves, so we don't have to review files that have already been reviewed.

Feldmahler, what does the IMSLP index have as its fields? Is there a way to more closely associate a particular file and the results of a copyright review, or just a closer association to the index itself?

I like the idea of the tagging system, and we should, perhaps, proceed with an intermediate solution to get things started, but it would be good to have the tags related to the files themselves, instead of just the work pages.

(I suppose this is the time when I volunteer my meager coding skills to aid in the task).
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Peter raises a very good point here. I've noticed a couple of things in the past few days posted by isaac_sanmiguel that are fishy from the copyright angle. The virtualsheetmusic.com edition of Saint-Saens' Cello Concerto was fairly glaring and has been dealt with by Feldmahler.

The 1981 Doblinger edition of Bottesini is most likely protected under US law due to its publication after the loosening of the notice requirement in 1978 (though only post-1988 publications are completely immune from it). Doblinger is headquartered in Vienna, so the Austrian law governing editions would come into play here in light of Canadian adherence to "rule of the shorter term." BTW, I suspect that this aspect of Canadian law also means that any US work whose copyright expired either due to failure to comply with the formalities or pre-1923 publication is likewise PD in Canada.

Another thing that I've noticed is that things like the now defunct Saint-Saens piece are often listed as "manuscript" when they are actually re-engravings or retypesets. Would it help to set up a pop-up window as a reminder for new contributors (only) to double check copyright status, etc. when they add a new work (assuming such a thing is possible)?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Peter: I've already implemented this function (should be at the end of the file template) :) Of course, we will have to do this not only for new submission but also for old (pre-implementation) ones. But we should get through it somehow :) By the way, you can edit the special page header page ("IMSLP:Special:IMSLPEditCTag/MainText") and add information about the usage of the special page.

By the way, if the "Status (for admins):" bit doesn't show up, try purging the page cache by adding "&action=purge" to the URL.

Emeraldimp: Even though this time I dealt with it (because it is basically a copy of the Ratings page structure with detail changes, and so me doing it would be more efficient since I know the code base very well), I assure you that your programming skills will certainly be in demand... as soon as some sort of official coding project page is set up (as Peter was proposing on Leonard's user talk page). :)

Carolus: The popup is not that hard to implement, but I'm not completely sure of the effectiveness of a popup... many people have popup blockers (which may break the page entirely) and most of the information is already on the page per se. However this may be worth a try in due time (currently the coding "projects" are piling up high on my user page haha) :)
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Maybe, instead of a popup, a pop-out? Overload the 'submit' button (or put another in its place) that makes a red(?) div with the reminder appear before they can actually submit the file? Maybe the div has the 'submit' button...
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

imslp wrote:Peter: I've already implemented this function (should be at the end of the file template) :) Of course, we will have to do this not only for new submission but also for old (pre-implementation) ones. But we should get through it somehow :) By the way, you can edit the special page header page ("IMSLP:Special:IMSLPEditCTag/MainText") and add information about the usage of the special page.
Great. How can we list pages with the tag New?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Peter wrote:Great. How can we list pages with the tag New?
This is very easy in the future, but I'm hesitant to do this now because nearly all the entries are tagged New... so maybe it is better to have a significant amount of them tagged before adding that feature (plus I'd like to take a break from coding haha).

By the way, I've written a multiple variant of the tagger that takes IMSLP index numbers and does mass tagging... I'm hoping that this will make it easier to finish tagging the old files... you can find it here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:IMSLPMassTagger
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually... I just coded it anyway: http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:IMSLPNewTagFinder

I've already submitted it to the Sitemap.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

imslp wrote:Actually... I just coded it anyway: http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:IMSLPNewTagFinder

I've already submitted it to the Sitemap.
heheh... it's too addicting for you, isn't it.
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Coding is like crack... Even if you think you've made a clean break of it, gone cold turkey and been sober for years... One little taste is all it takes to throw you back on the cycle... ;-)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Very true... especially when you already have a framework to work with and don't have to start from scratch ;) I think I coded for like 10 hours total yesterday... and now have to do some more coding so that I don't have to manually revert 50 pages...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

And... I added special pages for finding both Copyright Review and Checked tags (see my user page).

I really should stop coding now haha :)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

just a last question to make something clear: only admins can change the tag, but everyone can see it, right?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The tag itself yes :) The comments are just for communication amongst admins and so other people can't see them.