General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Marcel Dupre

Post by Carolus »

Since he died in 1971, he's protected in Canada and the other 50-year countries. The works posted at IMSLP are all free in the USA due to their publication before 1923. If they are not there already, they should be reloacted to the USA server.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Moved :) By the way, since you are already patrolling IMSLP for copyright issues, would you accept admin status? This way, you can just tag all of the files that you've browsed and identified (with the new copyright tagging system at the bottom of each file entry)... which would be very efficient for everyone (since already identified files do not need to be re-identified).

Of course, I would also very much welcome any "normal" maintenance/admining... but you seem rather busy, so this is very much optional :)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Hi,

Yes, I'll be happy to accept admin priviledges for dealing with the copyright work. That way I don't have to keep coming here about every obvious infraction. We can reserve those visits for issues where there's a real question!

One of the Dupre pieces - the Op. 29 "Chemin a la Croix" - was published in 1932 and is definitely copyright in the USA as well. Although the Op. 2 "Elevaton" is an early piece (1913), the posted item has been re-engraved in Finale. I also cannot find any reference to a publication from before 1923 (or even later), so I think we should ask the contributor to provide some sort of proof that the piece was published before the magic date.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Carolus wrote:One of the Dupre pieces - the Op. 29 "Chemin a la Croix" - was published in 1932 and is definitely copyright in the USA as well. Although the Op. 2 "Elevaton" is an early piece (1913), the posted item has been re-engraved in Finale. I also cannot find any reference to a publication from before 1923 (or even later), so I think we should ask the contributor to provide some sort of proof that the piece was published before the magic date.
Actually, I will just remove both files from the US server. Even though the second could possibly be public domain in the US, re-engravings in music publication softwares floating around are usually a huge pain to research the origins of, and since it is already borderline (only pd in US), it'd be more trouble than its worth to do research, especially since being a re-engraving means that *someone* touched it less than 50 years ago.
ks391262

Re: Marcel Dupre

Post by ks391262 »

I'm trying to figure out whether the "4 Pieces" by Dupre, and specifically the 2nd, the "Cortege et Litanie" is in the public domain in the US (my country) yet or not and when it will fall into it, as I'm interested in making an arrangement of it for concert band. It seems it was first written in 1921 and the first version, for piano, was published in 1923. But I emailed a publisher who has reprinted the original version and they told me that he recopyrighted it in his lifetime. I don't see the score here in IMSLP, so that makes me think it is not yet. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Crescendo Music Publications (Australia) apparently has published the original piano version as a "long out of print" item since 2008. Worldcat shows only a1923 date for the original LeDuc publication. Any later dates look to be transcriptions. If LeDuc did re-copyright the 1923 version, I see no web evidence so far of that action.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

The Four Pieces, Op.19 for piano were registered with the U.S. Copyright Office in 1923 (Catalog of Copyright Entries 1923) and the copyright was renewed before the 28 year deadline (Catalog of Copyright Entries 1950). This work will not become public domain in the U.S. until January 1, 2019 (at least under current copyright laws).
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Good to know, but however did you get there? And how is that search engine supposed to work? I couldn't get results no matter what I entered.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

"Dupre" for the 1923 volume and "quatre" for the 1950 volume. Given the imperfect nature of OCR technology--especially on poorly contrasted color images--I was surprised to find it at all.
ks391262

Post by ks391262 »

Thanks so much for the help!