General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Copyright review: Dvorak Concerto

Post by goldberg988 »

I have pdfs of the Piano Concerto of Anton Dvorak, containing the solo piano parts of both Dvorak and Vilem Kurz (1872-1945) and an orchestral reduction. It was published by Editio Supraphon Praha (Prague) in 1955 as part of the Critical Edition of Dvorak's Works. Might this be uploadable? I know that Kalmus and Masters Music have reprinted some other volumes from this edition.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Yup, it is uploadable :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually... someone just reminded me about this... I saw the date for Kurz, and assumed that he was the editor.

While I still think this is very likely to be in the public domain, it'd probably be a good idea to have Carolus' word on it :) The fact that Kalmus and Masters are reprinting from the series is highly suggestive too.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Upload away. Defnitely reprinted by Kalmus. Kurz is PD in Canada even using life plus 50 as a guide. The Czech law states all government publications as PD, and Artia/Orbis/SNKLHU/Supraphon was a government agency.
goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by goldberg988 »

That's crazy... so anyone could have reprinted it, even immediately after publication? Or was the czechoslovakian law different before it was the republic?

Thanks for your help, Carolus. I'm away from home right now and I will definitely upload the files when I get back.

I also have a lot of pdfs of Smetana, from editions also published by Supraphon, I believe (although perhaps more recently). Maybe these will be pd, too. I'll check back...
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

The Czech law states all government publications as PD

Thank you for that vital piece of information...now to head back to the local music store which is still having a sellout of miniature scores...they had a some official-looking Czech stuff.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hehehe... Goldberg, it is not *that* crazy... I remember either Canada or the US having the same law :)