Proposal: automatic PD tags

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm... good question haha. I suppose in this case what you are proposing is better. The reason I proposed what I proposed was because generally I think it is a good idea to have only the minimum amount of duplication on the page level, and also entrust the templates with as much of the formatting as possible (just so we can change it later on, like what happened with the file templates).

But in any case I think what you suggested may be best in this case, so I'm going to go with that :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

imslp wrote:The reason I proposed what I proposed was because generally I think it is a good idea to have only the minimum amount of duplication on the page level, and also entrust the templates with as much of the formatting as possible (just so we can change it later on, like what happened with the file templates).
Certainly a valid point. If you prefer, I can implement your variant. The "backwards compatibility mode" would then also have to serve for cases like
5. Dec. 1687 (baptized)
April or May 1562
1530/40
etc., which would not fit into the new scheme. Let me know your final decision, and in case I'll make the changes to the template.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm... let me think about it for a bit :) I'll respond in a few hours. Both variants have their good points: yours is simple and the most elegant way of doing it, while mine is more ugly (haha) but may come in handy in future customizations of the composer template...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ok... I've decided. I think it may be better to do it my version, just simply for the sake of future customization of the template (which I hope will be customized in light of the fact that it looks quite ugly at the moment haha).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This function (date) is now live with the exception of the automatic tag selector :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

imslp wrote:This function (date) is now live
Woah, you're just too fast for me... the template adaptation was still on my to-do list, and you've already finished it :D
imslp wrote:with the exception of the automatic tag selector :)
Then how are people going to select the tag? Wait, I know: it's automatic, right? :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:Then how are people going to select the tag? Wait, I know: it's automatic, right? :)
Indeed ;) I even removed the tag selector code from the page for this purpose 8) Now the only thing is to add the automatic tag selection code into the composer template... in the meanwhile horribly abusing the ParserFunctions extension :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

imslp wrote:Now the only thing is to add the automatic tag selection code into the composer template...
Should be nothing more but copying the content of Template:PDComposer to Template:Composer and changing the parameter name, right? I can do that if you want.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Or you can just include it in the Composer template :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Done (copied, so we don't have too many levels of inclusion). You can remove {{PDComposer}} from the "add composer" code.

I'll think about the work and file templates in the near future.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Already done :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Problem is, an automatic work page template would require the death year of the composer, which is not normally available on the work page. The same is true for file entry templates. How can we solve this?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

One thought/question I had was: Would it be possible to make death date a required field any time a new composer page was added? If so, would it then be possible to code things so that any work added to that composer category would automatically get the work tag? (Like {{WorkNonPD-USandEU}} Also, if the composer's death was less than 70 years ago, would it be possible to automatically default to an alternative add work page where date of first publication would be a required field? That way the tag {{WorkNonPD-USandEU}} could go to those works first published after 1922 while those published before 1923 would automatically get the tag {{WorkNonPD-EU}}.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Carolus wrote:One thought/question I had was: Would it be possible to make death date a required field any time a new composer page was added?
Well... if the death date is not specified, the composer is currently treated as if he is still alive (which should be fine..?).
If so, would it then be possible to code things so that any work added to that composer category would automatically get the work tag? (Like {{WorkNonPD-USandEU}} Also, if the composer's death was less than 70 years ago, would it be possible to automatically default to an alternative add work page where date of first publication would be a required field? That way the tag {{WorkNonPD-USandEU}} could go to those works first published after 1922 while those published before 1923 would automatically get the tag {{WorkNonPD-EU}}.
This is indeed possible, but would require a fair amount of recoding done; I will put it on my to-do list for August. It would also require a bit of preparatory work: for all the composer pages where we want the work pages tagged we must remake the composer pages to use the new dating system used currently for new composer pages.

About the date of publication, we can just default it to an ambiguous template stating that it "may not" be public domain in the US, until someone comes along and enters the date of first publication (in which case the tag will automatically switch). This should lessen the burden on both the submitter and copyright reviewer :)

Also, if you don't want to do duplicate work, you can just leave out the work page tagging until I implement the automatic tagger; instead, change the composer category and year of first publication instead :)

Edit: Actually, after thinking a bit I bump the date of the implementation of autotagging up. Expect it within a few weeks :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Come to think of it, the matter is even more complicated with the file entry templates, since death dates of editors, arrangers and what not may have to be taken into account.