Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

brahms34b
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

No response regarding [B] status

Post by brahms34b »

Dear IMSLP,

On September 1st, I wrote the following letter to feldmahler {at} imslp.org:

"I wouldn't ordinarily bother you with a specific request, given how generous you have been to all of us professional musicians, but I've become convinced this is a simple oversight.

The score in question is:

Transcription for 2 pianos (of the Ravel Piano Concerto in G)
*#36787 - 2.79MB - 57 pages - Scan Quality: No ratings yet - 10/28/30

It's had its status now for over a month. During that time, I've watched the total review count go down to zero, and then back up again, without affecting this score. So, it's either been forgotten, or you meant to mark it [TB].

I realize that there is also the possibility that copyright will expire next year, but then the total count would not have gone down to zero--or at least that's my understanding.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

With best wishes,

David Lawrence
e-mail: brahms34b {at} aol.com"

I have received no answer. Perhaps someone on this forum could investigate what's gone wrong here.

Many thanks,

David Lawrence
Last edited by imslp on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove e-mail addresses before the bots get them. Also, I've clarified my e-mail policy on my user page (where you got the address).
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: No response regarding [B] status

Post by daphnis »

David, the issue at hand, which has been discussed ad nauseum on the forums, deals with IMSLP voluntarily blocking those files which are still under copyright protection in the US. This transcription falls in this camp, and though it will become public domain in Canada on 1 January, 2010, it may or may not be unblocked here.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

As far as I understand, he is asking why the specific file is marked rather than [TB]. This is indeed because it will enter the public domain in Canada only next year.
brahms34b

Post by brahms34b »

Thank you to Leonard and Daphnis for your responses. If I asked a question which has already been answered to death, that's because I'm new to the list.

I accept the answers as given, and it's a small point, but the protocols for the site DO suggest that if a score is marked , and then the total number of scores is zero (as was the case a few weeks ago), then that score has been overlooked. That was my confusion.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

David,

I'm sorry to have to correct you, but the fact of the matter is that the number of blocked scores (i.e. those which are marked ) was not zero at any time in the past few weeks, let alone the last few months. The precise number at the time of writing is in fact 126! A number* of those are scores which will enter the public domain in Canada in 2010, as is the case with the Lucien Garban (†1959) arrangement of the Ravel.

Regards, PML

*Edit: of those 126 scores, no less than 99 are due for release on 1 January 2010.
--
PML (talk)