Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Hans-Christopher Steiner's "Solitude"

Post by jujimufu »

Hello.

I was thinking about Hans-Christopher's "Solitude" (http://at.or.at/hans/solitude/) and whether this could be uploaded on IMSLP.

The author provides the score and music on his website, and he says all media material on his website (including the score and mp3 file) are licensed under a Free Art License (http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en).

Does anyone know anything about this - and more importantly, can we submit "Free Art License" material on IMSLP?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot2: Human

Re: Hans-Christopher Steiner's "Solitude"

Post by Carolus »

The best thing to do would be to e-mail him to ask if his work can be included at IMSLP under one of the CC licenses. With his permission in writing, there would be no potential problem.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

Alright, I contacted the composer and he said that we are free to upload his score on IMSLP. Here's what he said to an e-mail I received from him:

"So of course you can use it, under any terms you need to, all I request is that you give credit where credit is due"

I have sent him an e-mail asking him if it would be alright to list the work as being licensed under Creative Commons by-nc-sa, and I will upload the work once he gets back to me.

Our first electronic and our first coloured scores :) Should someone make a new category for electronic compositions? (I don't think we have one - do we?)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

jujimufu wrote:I have sent him an e-mail asking him if it would be alright to list the work as being licensed under Creative Commons by-nc-sa, and I will upload the work once he gets back to me.
I had only a quick look, but it seems to me that the free art license doesn't include an nc clause (see Sec. 5), so I see no need for this additional restriction. Sorry I don't have the time right now to check this in-depth myself.
jujimufu
active poster

Post by jujimufu »

That's alright - he said he wanted to release it under a CC BY, so that's taken care of :)