General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Uncredited editors and arrangers

Post by homerdundas »

What happens when the editor or arranger is not given a credit on a publication - obvious examples are the Gesamtausgaben - where it is easy to find who did the editing. I have a vocal score - from UE - where the piano reduction is uncredited. However, checking a previous printing, I did find the name of the arranger. Opening a can of worms here - is it possible for the publishers to come back after the fact and claim that various editions were edited by uncredited persons, who lived to be 110 years old, keeping the works in copyright until who knows when...
Thanks.
[EDIT: Spelling of "Gesamtausgaben", and removal of superfluous "editions"...like "sahara desert"...]
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Uncredited editors and arrangers

Post by vinteuil »

Well, in the US, it's "simple" until 1978 :).
And same with urtext editions.

Sometimes it's actually quite difficult to find out who edited which volume in a Gesamtausgabe (i.e. Beethoven)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
worov
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Uncredited editors and arrangers

Post by worov »

perlnerd666 said

Sometimes it's actually quite difficult to find out who edited which volume in a Gesamtausgabe (i.e. Beethoven)

Indeed, for the Beethoven Gesamtausgabe, the editors are never mentionned. I'm looking for the name of the editor of the piano sonatas and the strings quartets, but I can't find them. I have been searching all over on the internet, but without success.

Beethoven is just an exemple. I'm sure there are others. However, for the Bach-Gesellschaft Ausgabe, we have much more information about the editors.