Debussy Danse Sacree & Profane PD worldwide?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

gms
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Debussy Danse Sacree & Profane PD worldwide?

Post by gms »

Working on a short film and would like to know if Debussy's Danse Sacree & Profane is currently public domain worldwide. I have confirmed it is in US.
Published 1904, Debussy died in 1918. Thank you!
BKhon

Re: Debussy Danse Sacree & Profane PD worldwide?

Post by BKhon »

A few issues:

1). If this is a recording made by someone other than yourself, would highly unlikely be in the public domain. You would need permission from the copyright owner. If you plan to record the piece yourself, this would not be a problem.

2). If the second point of number one applies (you record yourself), make sure you use an edition that is PD in your country (so, for example, don't use some edition from a guy who died in 1983, as it wouldn't be in the public domain anywhere except maybe Afghanistan and the Sudan).

With kind regards,
gms
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by gms »

Thank you! So, the Debussy piece is PD in the US and the score is on the IMSLP site as PD. If I make my own recording how can I be assured the work is public domain in say, France?
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

If you make your own recording it is impossible for it to be public domain :)

In France you'd have to wait 70 years after your death, and it would be really hard to wait that long.

When you record something, you put it under a creative commons license. You won't need to worry about copyright.

Kind regards,
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by pierre.chepelov »

The work itself (Debussy's!) is PD in France because he died more than 84 years and 272 days, and in all the rest of the European Union because he died more than 70 years ago.
Within the EU (including France), your recording would of course belong to you, until 50 years after publication.
Beware, if you use Jacques Durand's reduction for piano solo, it is currently PD in the EU excluding France, where it is still protected until October 1st, 2013.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

pierre.chepelov wrote:The work itself (Debussy's!) is PD in France because he died more than 84 years and 272 days, and in all the rest of the European Union because he died more than 70 years ago.
Within the EU (including France), your recording would of course belong to you, until 50 years after publication.
Beware, if you use Jacques Durand's reduction for piano solo, it is currently PD in the EU excluding France, where it is still protected until October 1st, 2013.
Hey, you should be a copyright reviewer!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I would suggest putting the recording under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial 3.0 license. That's generally the best one. Feel free to upload the recording onto IMSLP, too.