Ravel PD in EU?? Maybe not the whole EU...

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

rapakif
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Ravel PD in EU?? Maybe not the whole EU...

Post by rapakif »

Dear all,
Congratulations for this wonderful website! As a new joiner, I'm really impressed by the depth and exhaustiveness of this library. :o
I'm pretty surprised to find Ravel's works PD for EU: although the general rule in Europe is the 70 post mortem rule, I thought you would also have to include the years of worldwide war for the specific French case. This would lead to 2016 or something.
I'd be happy to be wrong, as this is such a great work!
Regards,
imslp-eu
regular poster

Re: Ravel PD in EU?? Maybe not the whole EU...

Post by imslp-eu »

The EU server is located in The Netherlands, where Ravel is PD. You may have noticed that the following disclaimer is shown when downloading a file from IMSLP.ORG:
IMSLP makes no guarantee that the files provided for download on IMSLP are public domain in your country and assumes no legal responsibility or liability of any kind for their copyright status. Please obey the copyright laws of your country and consult the copyright statute itself or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain file is in the public domain in your country or if downloading a copy constitutes fair use.
and a similar warning is shown to users whenever they activate a link pointing to the EU server:
IMSLP-EU makes no guarantee that the files provided for download on IMSLP-EU are public domain in your country and assumes no legal responsibility or liability of any kind for their copyright status. Please obey the copyright laws of your country and consult the copyright statute itself or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain file is in the public domain in your country or if downloading a copy constitutes fair use.
The above warnings are specifically valid for users located in countries such as France, where exceptions exist with respect to the rules observed by most EU countries. Considering specific local constraints is clearly left to the user.
rapakif

Re: Ravel PD in EU?? Maybe not the whole EU...

Post by rapakif »

Thanks a lot for this detailed answer. Disclaimer is indeed explicit, although it may be hard for a novice in the PD field to identify which scores are legal or not, especially after reading a green "V" for the EU section...share of french IP adresses for such scores must be pretty similar to share for "really PD" scores :D
Anyway, I'm now very aware of what to do, at least with Ravel's !
Again, thanks a lot for your answer.
Regards