General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Irishmaestro
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Just a quick question.

Post by Irishmaestro »

I found a scan somewhere (can't remember where exactly) of the Henle edition of Bach's English Suites 1-3. The stated copyright date is 1958 (renewed in 1986). Since it has fingerings by Hans-Martin Theopold (who died in 1959, apparently), would they have to be removed before it could be uploaded? I presume that the editor's preface etc would also have to be removed...
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Just a quick question.

Post by KGill »

I don't think he died in 1959...I've found records of publications edited by him much later than that (enough to raise suspicions that he lived into the '60s or '70s at least; he was born in 1904). If he did actually die in '59, it would be OK to upload as-is, though it would be blocked with [TB] since it's under copyright in both the US and EU. If the fingerings, preface, and anything else deemed sufficiently original to deserve Canadian and European copyright protection were removed, however, it would legally be available via the EU server as more than 25 years have elapsed since its publication. I would remove them :)
Irishmaestro
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Just a quick question.

Post by Irishmaestro »

I don't know where I got that 1959 from - I can't find his dates anywhere. I'll get to removing those, though if anyone else has more time than I do, feel free to step in. :P