General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

dwscores
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Selling a work for free on IMSLP

Post by dwscores »

I have some of my own compositions I would like to upload, but I am not prepared to use a creative commons licence as none of them meets my specific needs right now.

Can I upload a work of my own and "sell" it for the sum of $0 on IMSLP?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Selling a work for free on IMSLP

Post by pml »

I’m afraid I don’t have the pleasure of understanding what you would intend by this.

The only alternatives to the Creative Common licences are public domain (which is not an option, for suggesting you can totally forgo your moral rights is more or less a legal fiction for living composers; copyright is treated as being innate once an original idea is given any form) or the Performance Restricted Non-commercial No Derivatives licence (an IMSLP customisation of the CC-nc-nd licence). If the CC licences don’t float your boat, I can’t see any of the alternatives permitted on IMSLP doing so either.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
dwscores
regular poster

Re: Selling a work for free on IMSLP

Post by dwscores »

Thanks for that, it sort of answers my question.

What I am looking for is a licence that explicitly allows non-large scale (mass produced) commercial use, but none exists. Not floating my own boat or anything, but I would like people to be able to use my stuff freely, but not large RIAA supporting organisations.

I will just use creative commons then.