Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

m.kowalski49
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Paganini Violin Concerto No. 6

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Hi,

I just want to make everyone aware that the Violin Concerto No. 6, that has no publisher info or editor info etc..

It's actually edited by Salvatore Accardo, and Cadenza is also by him as well. I have this same edition on my shelf in my studio, once I locate it I will reply with its information.

I believe that Salvatore Accardo is still living, thus being copyrighted.

Thanks

mk.49
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Paganini Violin Concerto No. 6

Post by Carolus »

Since Salvatore Accardo is still alive, this cannot be posted at IMSLP's main server unless the cadenza were removed. Even then, the edition has to be 'urtext' in nature to qualify. Very unlikely to be free in the USA, but not impossible.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Um... "No. 6" (actually written before No. 1) was orchestrated/reconstructed by someone else (Wikipedia says Federico Mompellio and Francesco Fiore, whoever those are), from sketches and the solo violin part. IIRC, this was sometime in the 20th century, if not as late as the 1970s. So yeah.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Carolus wrote:Since Salvatore Accardo is still alive, this cannot be posted at IMSLP's main server unless the cadenza were removed. Even then, the edition has to be 'urtext' in nature to qualify. Very unlikely to be free in the USA, but not impossible.
Carolus, he meant that the edition we actually have right now on IMSLP should not be there - we have Accardo's edition: http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_N ... col%C3%B2)
I guess this should be deleted, then?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Yes, it has to go. I just deleted it.
djidjibidji

Post by djidjibidji »

Is there any way I can get this sheet?I started to learn the concert but had a little brake of it and now its gone :(
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Sorry, you'll have to purchase it. We don't allow publishers to lie about items being under copyright, but when something is protected, we have to respect the law.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Melodia wrote:Um... "No. 6" (actually written before No. 1) was orchestrated/reconstructed by someone else (Wikipedia says Federico Mompellio and Francesco Fiore, whoever those are), from sketches and the solo violin part. IIRC, this was sometime in the 20th century, if not as late as the 1970s. So yeah.
Even though this is correct, that is was written before no. 1, the Violin part that was readily available on IMSLP was edited by a living person, thus being under copyright. As a professional Violinist I own a copy of this work which is why I brought it to attention. The Cadenza in fact was written by Accardo, the part was edited by Accardo.

Like Carolus said. We have to respect the law. No matter what the circumstances are. And I'm sure when you perform this work, or if you perform it. You will need to mention who and what in the program.

mk.49
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Whether the now newly uploaded version is the Accardo or Mompellio (d.1989)/Fiore (d.1955) edition (which Worldcat says was published in 1973- might be this one...), I expect it too should be deleted. this, again

(Hrm, what's wrong with URL?)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Thanks for reminding me of this item. Yes, it has to go. It's almost certainly the 1973 score. It was produced on a Musicwriter music typewriter, which was the one of the more popular forms of engraving from around 1945 to 1985.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Um... "No. 6" (actually written before No. 1) was orchestrated/reconstructed by someone else (Wikipedia says Federico Mompellio and Francesco Fiore, whoever those are), from sketches and the solo violin part. IIRC, this was sometime in the 20th century, if not as late as the 1970s. So yeah.
I would just like to point out, thank you for your fruitful contribution on this forum, as we all know that some of Paganini's Violin Concerti that are posth. op wise were infact written before no. 1....

MK49