General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

jeko89
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Telemann: "6 sonates for violin and piano" pub. by Schott

Post by jeko89 »

Hi,
I could scan Telemann's "6 sonates a Violon seul, acc. par le Clavencin" (first published in 1715) edited by Friedrich Wilhelm and published by Schott & Co. Ltd., London, 1954.
The book is divided into 3 parts: piano p, violin p., cello part (ad. lib.).
In the preface the editor stated that he realized a new figured bass part so I suppose that copyright depends upon Friedrich's death.

It was difficult for me to find info about the editor but I suppose he's the same in this page: http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Orchestrato ... nd_Editors where I can see: "Friedrich, Dr. Wilhelm (d. ca. 1953) ed. Schott"

-Might anybody help me to find further info about that man's death?
-Should I upload these beautiful scores?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Telemann: "6 sonates for violin and piano" pub. by Schot

Post by Carolus »

The copyright would very music depend on the dates of Wilhelm Friedrich if the continuo realization is original in nature - containing material which is over and above the simple translation of the numeric symbols into notation. I just looked him up over at Schott. His dates are 1898-1952. This means everything is free in Canada and the 50 pma countries, even if his realization is highly original. If the realization is pro-forma, it falls under the 'urtext' rubric in the EU, which means it was protected for only publication plus 25 years. In the USA, the work could be protected for up to 95 years from publication. The six sonatas are still available from Schott. If you elect to add these, be sure they are uploaded to the correct page, using the TWV numbers. Since the editor is free in Canada, you are free to upload them.
jeko89

Re: Telemann: "6 sonates for violin and piano" pub. by Schot

Post by jeko89 »

Thank you Carolus!
Yes, the editor himself states that he has modified the continuo realiz. of the pieces in order to be played with or without cello. It seems that he's done an "artistic work" that has justified copyright extension in the past. But now I can upload it all the same :)