General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

rhymesandchymes
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Possibly expanding IMSLP format?

Post by rhymesandchymes »

Several of my mother Vivian Fine's works have been published. I would like to include mention of these works on IMSLP, though of course not accompanied by the scores. I'm wondering if the IMSLP format could be expanded to allow for such a list, including links to the publishers. Aside from being helpful to the composers, I should think it would improve the delicate relationship between IMSLP and publishing houses.

I very much want people to be aware of these compositions of my mother's. The publishing houses aren't promoting them, that's for sure. They have pages on my mother's web site but it's unclear whether the web site will outlive me, while IMSLP I'm sure will be around for a very long time.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there for your consideration.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Possibly expanding IMSLP format?

Post by KGill »

IMSLP has had lists of compositions for years - it's a major feature of the site. The largest ones we currently have are those for Liszt, Bach, and Villa-Lobos, and each of these (along with the hundreds - maybe over a thousand - of others) is linked to on its corresponding composer page. I've now added a tentative link on Fine's composer page; you can edit it to include pretty much any pertinent information you want - the format is flexible (though usually highly structured within one list) and links to publishers' websites would certainly be acceptable.
rhymesandchymes
forum adept

Re: Possibly expanding IMSLP format?

Post by rhymesandchymes »

I didn't know about this feature--IMSLP is a very rich site and I'm still learning about all its resources. I will use the link you set up on the Vivian Fine page--thanks very much.