General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

rpatters1
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Is Extracting Parts an Adaptation

Post by rpatters1 »

I have a question about the Performance-Restricted license and any other that restricts adaptations. I notice that IMSLP is now offering a part-extraction bug next to all the scores. I am wondering if that doesn't count as an adaptation under the license. My reading of the text is that it is certainly a plausible reading.

Specifically, my intent with my own large ensemble pieces is to release the scores under the PR license but retain full control of the parts. Have I relinquished that right under the license? I realize that the technical function right now is probably not good enough to use the results with (e.g.) a professional orchestra, but one day I don't doubt it will be. Indeed, the computer-generated PDFs I use are today capable of being reversed converted back into Finale files, and usable parts could certainly be generated from that. I was laboring under the impression, however, that the license would not allow this.
rpatters1
regular poster

Re: Is Extracting Parts an Adaptation

Post by rpatters1 »

Adding a reply because I forgot to subscribe to the thread, and I don't know a better way. :roll:
haydenmuhl
active poster

Re: Is Extracting Parts an Adaptation

Post by haydenmuhl »

rpatters1 wrote:Adding a reply because I forgot to subscribe to the thread, and I don't know a better way. :roll:
There is a link at the very bottom of the page.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers