Can we use scores from Hathi Trust?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

captbaritone
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Can we use scores from Hathi Trust?

Post by captbaritone »

I found a higher resolution scan of a score that we already have on the Hathi Trust website:

Ours: http://imslp.org/wiki/Cendrillon_(Isouard,_Nicolo)
Theirs: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/nc01.ark:/13960/t3611sh4c

Are we permitted to rehost their scans?
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Can we use scores from Hathi Trust?

Post by cypressdome »

Absolutely! In fact, we currently have at least 418 work pages with scores taken from Hathi Trust. Depending on the means you use to acquire the images from Hathi Trust please be aware that there are many that contain Google logos and those logos would have to be removed before they can be posted to IMSLP since their logo is a trademark and is Google's intellectual property.

A couple of notes about the score in question. The copy at Hathi Trust was actually transferred from the University of North Carolina's digitized copy that was posted to the Internet Archive (found here). At that page you can download a copy in various formats and actually get the raw jpg2000 images of each page if you click on the link "All Files: HTTPS." The vocal score currently posted to IMSLP listed as being from the University of Toronto is also from the Internet Archive.

Enjoy!
Cypressdome
Irishmaestro
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Irishmaestro »

Thought it best to post here, rather than the Sweelinck thread.

I've managed to download reasonably high-quality images of the old Sweelinck Werken edition (1894-1901) from HathiTrust. I've got them all into PDFs now (file size is big, though), but I'm assuming I'll need to remove prefaces by Max Seiffert (d.1948) before uploading?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Well, you don't need to, but it would have the effect of freeing them up for EU status. Technically it would not affect their download availability at all. Maybe extract the prefaces into separate files and still upload?