Samuil Feinberg

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

SealedSage
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Samuil Feinberg

Post by SealedSage »

I believe Samuil Feinberg's music is now public domain and I am absolutely thrilled. I have created an account and at the end of my 24 hour grace notice, I will being immediately uploading my collection of PDFs of his scores. I do want to make sure of the copyright laws though. Am I allowed only to upload his scores up to a specific publishing date, or can I upload all of them because he died 50 years ago? I'm under US copyright laws.

Thank you,

Brandon
steltz
active poster

Re: Samuil Feinberg

Post by steltz »

Anything originally published before 1923 will probably be unblocked and free for all to use. However, anything published from 1923 to his death will have a [TB] block because, while in the public domain in Canada, it would be under copyright in Europe and the US. My suggestion is to start from the earliest published material.
bsteltz
SealedSage

Post by SealedSage »

Gotcha, thanks!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You can upload things published after 1922, but they'll be subject to the [TB] until we have time to do a thorough check of the renewal and NIE records. As a general rule, the NIEs were only filed for the big-name Soviet composers like Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Khachaturian, Myaskovsky and Kabalevsky.