General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

rdtennent
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Albinoni-Giazotto Adagio

Post by rdtennent »

I understand this work is copyright-protected. It seems Ricordi holds the rights. So to whom do I address a request for permission or a license to publish or distribute a derived work? The Ricordi web site doesn't seem to have any such contact.

Bob T.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Albinoni-Giazotto Adagio

Post by Carolus »

You have to write or otherwise contact Ricordi's legal department.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

If I recall, the last time I performed this work, it was under copyright. It had almost the same situation as Wagners Rienzi, unfortunately this piece was found in a chest at a cathedral, during a bombing in WW2.. Which, it was then realized and published. So, I don't know whether the original question was to post them to IMSLP or that, but I would'nt suggest it.

MK.49
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

No, actually the whole thing was written by Giazotto. That Albanoni had anything to do with it is a hoax.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

Melodia wrote:No, actually the whole thing was written by Giazotto. That Albanoni had anything to do with it is a hoax.
Giazotto said that he'd composed it using a thematic idea and a figured bass by Albinoni. It wasn't his fault that some misinformed people attributed the whole thing to Albinoni. One suspects that many detractors are simply jealous of the success of the work. In any case, the Albinoni-Giazotto work is definitely copyright-protected and I'm in touch with the licensing department at mgbhalleonard.com
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Yes he said that. Kreisler also said he found a bunch of music by Baroque composers.

He could say anything he wanted, but most people agree he was lying
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adagio_in_G_minor
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

Melodia wrote:He could say anything he wanted, but most people agree he was lying
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adagio_in_G_minor
Have you looked at that site recently?
The discovery by musicologist Muska Mangano, Giazotto's last assistant, of a modern but independent manuscript transcription of the figured bass portion and six fragmentary bars of the first violin, "bearing in the top right-hand corner a stamp stating unequivocally the Dresden provenance of the original from which it was taken," provides some support for Giazotto's account that Albinoni was his source.