General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

rdtennent
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Albinoni Adagio in G minor

Post by rdtennent »

The page on this work has to be completely revised in light of the material in Dr. Nicola Schneider's dissertation
La tradizione delle opere di Tomaso Albinoni a Dresda pp. 181-86 (Cremona, 2007). In particular, the music that Giazotto based his work on is now available to us. It has a stamp from the Dresden State Library and a heading that attributes the music to Albinoni. It is a photocopy, not a "paper scrap found in the ruins", and it consists on an entire basso part (83 measures, not "fragments") with figures, and two short cues of the 1st violin part, which Giazotto preserved in his composition. The introductory measures for organ in Giazotto's composition are not in the original source.

I propose to revise the page, including an engraving of this musical material. Whether or not the attribution to Albinoni is accepted, the material is certainly not Giazotto's. The transcriber (who is unknown) made no claim of authorship, nor does Dr. Schneider. I see no reason not to consider it to be in the public domain. Do you agree?
Cat

Re: Albinoni Adagio in G minor

Post by Cat »

I own a set of the [copyright] full score and string parts, so it would at least be interesting to see how much Giazotto invented aside from the organ introduction.
TheGrassGuy
regular poster

Post by TheGrassGuy »

No, it's still copyrighted. Giazotto must have built the entire Adagio off those 83 measures, rather than the "fragment". Enough of the work is constructed by him for the work to remain copyrighted.
TheGrassGuy
regular poster

Post by TheGrassGuy »

Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Sir please do not open back up an old posting, its bad practice to do so. Its a 5 year old post already. Sorry going to have to lock this down.