General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Rob Peters
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bruckner's 0th

Post by Rob Peters »

I saw we only have the Nowak edition of Bruckner's 0th symphony, which is non-PD US (and will remain so for a long time).
I'm wondering, I've got the original 1924 Wöss editon here, would that be PD US? Gonna scan upload it anyway since it's PD EU, but it would be a nice bonus if it would make this important score accessible to Bruckner-lovers in the US. The differences with the Nowak edition are minimal, I think.
Important to know would be whether the U.E. edition from 1924 was copyright renewed or not? If renewed, it'll become US PD in 2015, I guess.
Wöss died in 1943, which means I can scan the (interesting) preface and upload it separately at 01-01-2014.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Bruckner's 0th

Post by cypressdome »

Thanks for the upload. The U.S. copyright was renewed on the work in 1952 and I've updated the work page to reflect this.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Why isn't the score PD EU?

I don't think Wöss' editorial additions are enough to give it the status of an arrangement. Following that logic, it's as much an "arrangement" as the later Nowak version (which is PD EU) or any other Bruckner score edited by Nowak, Haas, Orel or others. I think the 25 years rule for first editions should apply here.

There are other editions by Wöss here, the 2nd and 3rd mass, and the first edition of the Overture in G minor, which has the same status as the 0th symphony - and which is PD EU. Makes no sense to me. Maybe the copyright reviewer got confused by the text "für den Konzertgebrauch eingerichtet" in the US copyright renewal notice - which would indicate an arrangement but which is absent in the score. Maybe this notice refers to a later edition of the original 1924 score?

If it's really non-PD, I'll need a moderator to remove it a.s.a.p. since I can't legally upload non-PD EU material. I can always re-upload it at 01-01-2014.

EDIT: I checked the 2 editions of the Overture in G minor on IMSLP, and they both contain the same editorial additions by Wöss. Yet the first one is PD EU and the second isn't. Again, makes no sense.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I'll re-tag the Wöss edition as urtext for EU. Thanks for the info.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Thanks Carolus, much appreciated.
I don't see any change yet, though. It's still listed as EU non-PD.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Carolus wrote:I'll re-tag the Wöss edition as urtext for EU. Thanks for the info.
Sorry for nagging, but the page is still unchanged...