General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Alex123456
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

What is the license of this?

Post by Alex123456 »

Hello,

I'm planning to contribute a collection of 16 trio sonatas by C.P.E. Bach (http://digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin. ... MDLOG_0001). But when I download a .pdf containing the first sonata, it says the license is CC BY-NC-SA instead of PD. Is that lawful on their part and under which license should I contribute it to IMSLP?

Thank you in advance! :-)
coulonnus
active poster

Re: What is the license of this?

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps a question for a creativecommons forum :-) If you download the Zip Archiv des ganzes Bandes you will obtain a set of tif pages without this CC license. This will make your work easier if you unskew, crop, clean etc. these pages. (I hope you will) :-)

The library of Spain also has CC licenses.
Alex123456

Post by Alex123456 »

Still, SBB_Metadaten.txt mentions the license is CC BY-NC-SA and SBB_Nutzungsbedingungen.txt says (based on Google Translate):
SBB_Nutzungsbedingungen.txt wrote:The conditions of use for the digitized holdings of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - PK correspond to the Creative Commons license "Attribution / Non-commercial / Share-alike 3.0 Germany" (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/de/):

Explanation of the Terms of Use

The digitized holdings of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin are available to all those interested worldwide free of charge for non-commercial use. If the digitized copies are to be reused, the Staatsbibliothek is to be named as the possessing institution in the form of the "Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - PK" and the permanent link to the digitized version must be specified.

The framework conditions for commercial or commercial use are made transparent and contractually regulated by bpk - Bildagentur für Kunst, Kultur und Geschichte ([Website and phone number redacted]).
This includes, in particular, the reuse of the digitized material:

- as reproduction templates for print publications (with the exception of scientific publications with a circulation of up to 1,000 copies);
- as reproduction templates for facsimile editions of complete works;
- in paid offers;
- on websites with a predominantly commercial or commercial character.

Deviating from this, the works of the collection "War 1914-1918" are open as public domain of any - even commercial - use.

The Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin reserves the right to place digital copies made to order as part of the "Digitized Collections" of the Staatsbibliothek.
Furthermore, the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin requests the free distribution of a specimen copy of editions and scientific works based on their holdings.

[Address redacted]

The Staatsbibliothek wants to bring its digitized holdings and development data into relevant contexts and present them there. Suggestions for appropriate portals, networks or virtual collections are welcome.
If you are interested in the reuse of larger volumes of data (images and development data) - for example in the context of a research project - the data delivery can be requested informally.

[Email redacted]
Interestingly, however, the CC BY-NC-SA license page linked to by the SBB states that (based on Google Translate):
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/de/ wrote:You do not have to abide by this license with respect to any portion of the material that is in the public domain or as long as your usage is covered by exceptions and limitations of copyright.
So marking the scores as PD would be ok, I suppose?

Alex123456

Post by Alex123456 »

Turns out there are more threads concerning similar issues, i.e. libraries assigning licenses to public domain works: But I'm still not sure what about the collection I was going to contribute (what if it is a "newly discovered work"?). Could you please shed some light on this?

Alex123456

Post by Alex123456 »

Ok, I'll do it anyway (as there already are a lot of SBB scores marked as PD).

Now, what kind of editing should I do on a manuscript? Probably remove distractions (e.g. notes mirrored from other pages), turn it to greyscale and maximize contrast? As for cropping/unskewing, I don't see other scores from SBB being cropped/unskewed either, so that probably doesn't matter? I'm new here, so it would be nice if you could link to a guide for submitting manuscripts or provide some general guidelines.

coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Alex123456 wrote:As for cropping/unskewing, I don't see other scores from SBB being cropped/unskewed either, so that probably doesn't matter?
See e.g. http://imslp.org/wiki/Keyboard_Sonata_i ... h_Wilhelm) Can't remember if I had to unskew that one. Too lazy when I provide Misc Notes :-)