Temporarily blocked, but not in all cases?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Temporarily blocked, but not in all cases?

Post by Lyle Neff »

In my idle time this evening I have noticed that some files that are labeled "TEMPORARILY BLOCKED" in square brackets (e.g., Glinka's Farewell Waltz at this particular time) are genuinely unavailable, but others labeled in the same way (e.g., the songs under Cui's Op. 75 currently) can actually be accessed.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This is because you are the uploader of the file in question. It'd make not a whole lot of sense if we blocked you since you already have the file ;) Plus, I allowed the uploader to download the files just so that they can check if there are any problems (wrong file uploaded, etc).
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Oh, okay. Didn't know that was part of the transition. Thanks for the clarification. :D

'Course, I could have misplaced my digital file after uploading. :shock:
aristidecc
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by aristidecc »

I found this score:

"7 Pastels from the Lake of Constance, Op.96 (Karg-Elert, Sigfrid)"

It ist already blocked at the moment. The Copyright for the EU is verified with a green "V", only the US copyright is on status "non PD".

How can I manage to download this file in the EU (Germany). In the EU it is PD.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

We are working on improvements in the blocking program that will allow access to items like the one you mention, aristidecc. Unfortunately, right now we have to make the whole world live under the craziness of the USA law because the majority of traffic is from that country.

Please bear with us, aristidecc. It's unfair that you are unable to access a Karg-Elert piece just because it was given a 95-year term from publication thanks to Michael Eisner (former Disney CEO) basically bribing the US Congress to pass a 20-year extension to the copyright term. Sorry. The longer I live, the more I am convinced that politicians are basically criminals who wear suits.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Someone sounds bitter ;) Not that I disagree...
aristidecc
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by aristidecc »

Thank you for your answer! :D

I will ask my friend, who is playing for my recording for a copy of the pastels.

But it is lovely that somone at imslp is reading the questions and write an answer. That's famous.

Even the US law is really crazy! I hope your work will come to a good result, so that we europeans can use our "liberal" law.

But be shure, politicians in Europe are not really better than in the US.
They only like the money, not the people. :twisted:
robert-laws

Re: Temporarily blocked, but not in all cases?

Post by robert-laws »

But the legalities have to be considered in mind before something unlawful happens