Creative Commons 3.0 and Commercial Recording Issue

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

elainefine
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Creative Commons 3.0 and Commercial Recording Issue

Post by elainefine »

I am so pleased that my violin and piano arrangement of Florence Price's Adoration has been played by so many people, and am very happy that people have been sharing their recordings of it on YouTube and including it on recitals.

But last night, as I was casually searching for "Adoration" recordings on YouTube I noticed a recording that is forthcoming on Decca (i.e. Universal) of my arrangement, and it is presented in both the YouTube video and the notes about the recording without including my name as the arranger. It is presented as the "world premiere recording" of it as a piece for violin. This gives the false impression that Florence Price wrote the piece for violin and piano.

I have no problem with it being included on a recording, but I find it sort of insulting that an entity such as Decca would think so little of the person who made it possible, through dedication to the cause of shariing music, for Randall Goosby to put it on a recording. The recording is called "Roots," and it is scheduled to be released June 21st.

I have written to Mr. Goosby through his website, I have posted a comment on his Instagram entry (comments are disabled on the YouTube entry), and I have written a personal message to him on Facebook. I do not doubt that he has seen my message, but have not seen a reply.

I'm not sure if the Creative Commons 3.0 license (it was the highest one available in 2013 when I made the arrangement) actually gives me any rights. I'm not concerned about money, but I am concerned that if the piece is "owned" by Decca/Universal they will claim copyright and not allow other violinists to post their videos, which would be a shame.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Creative Commons 3.0 and Commercial Recording Issue

Post by coulonnus »

I guess you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgtP1lgGlHE If you click PLUS you will see Adoration (arr. Elaine Fine). It says © 2021 Universal Music Operations Limited. Of course this video is copyrighted but videos of this arrangement posted by other violinists are not the topic.
byter

Re: Creative Commons 3.0 and Commercial Recording Issue

Post by byter »

Hi,

I'm not sure if the Creative Commons 3.0 license (it was the highest one available in 2013 when I made the arrangement) actually gives me any rights. I'm not concerned about money, but I am concerned that if the piece is "owned" by Decca/Universal they will claim copyright and not allow other violinists to post their videos, which would be a shame. if you will work online you will earn very well.