When is an arrangement mine?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Xanius
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

When is an arrangement mine?

Post by Xanius »

I‘ve got a quastion about legal publishing of own my own work under a public domain license.

The case:

-A concerto for solo and orchestra, originallypublished in 1947, the year the composer deceased (I‘m living in Germany, so 70-year-rule apply).
- I‘ve re-arranged the concerto for the orchestra l‘m playing in for our instruments and respective mastering levels, combining information from
a) A Solo-Instrument + Piano Transcription (dated 1948)
b) A recent orchestral arrangement (dated 2011, all rights reserved)
Into my own edition, enhanced with strokes, fingering and dynamic, into a new set of scores using a digital score editor.

My questions are:
1. Is it legally ok for me to publish this work under a creative commons license
2. If yes, Which information about my sources do I have to / should I include about my sources?
Sallen112
active poster

Re: When is an arrangement mine?

Post by Sallen112 »

2011 would be too recent of a source without permission to use but how significant of the source did you use in your arrangement?
Arciom Nesterovich

Re: When is an arrangement mine?

Post by Arciom Nesterovich »

Xanius wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:51 pm I‘ve got a quastion about legal publishing of own my own work under a public domain license.

The case:

-A concerto for solo and orchestra, originallypublished in 1947, the year the composer deceased (I‘m living in Germany, so 70-year-rule apply).
- I‘ve re-arranged the concerto for the orchestra l‘m playing in for our instruments and respective mastering levels, combining information from
a) A Solo-Instrument + Piano Transcription (dated 1948)
b) A recent orchestral arrangement (dated 2011, all rights reserved)
Into my own edition, enhanced with strokes, fingering and dynamic, into a new set of scores using a digital score editor.

My questions are:
1. Is it legally ok for me to publish this work under a creative commons license
2. If yes, Which information about my sources do I have to / should I include about my sources?
1. It is legal because you are not sampling someones music, you are made your own arrangement
2. No, it is not so important!

You actually can publish scores of your arrangements here- https://musescore.com/user/login?destin ... m%2Fupload and you will not have any problems!