[FEAT] Server side recordings transcoder

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

lekro
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

[FEAT] Server side recordings transcoder

Post by lekro »

I briefly talked with Carolus about this idea, but I'm not sure if it got pushed forward, or had any issues.

When files are uploaded (preferably in FLAC/WAV/some other lossless format) they will get transcoded to all the other formats necessary, so people won't have to transcode them to their favorite format.

Unless something is changed, IMSLP allows FLAC, OGG, MP3, and MP4 (video) formats for recordings.
If the format is lossless (FLAC), the file will be transcoded to OGG and MP3. (and maybe even different bitrates/quality settings of these)
If the format is lossy (OGG/MP3), the file will be transcoded to the other lossy format. However, the double lossy compression should be marked as Deprecated (or similar). This is why FLAC files are preferable. (perhaps people can upload the FLAC files and mark something for the server-side transcoder to not keep the lossless file if they want people to buy their music to get lossless quality)
If the file is a video, the audio will be extracted losslessly (using ffmpeg or something similar) and will be given the same treatment as any audio file.

Another suggestion that would go with the transcoder is "other versions" of files - so when this transcoder runs, tons of entries do not clutter the work page. Instead, one entry for a recording can have FLAC, OGG, MP3, and MP4 files behind it and the user can easily switch between these versions.

Are there any plans for adding such a feature?

Lekro
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: [FEAT] Server side recordings transcoder

Post by Carolus »

I've mentioned to Feldmahler. Not sure how soon something like this is feasible. We need to re-do uploading page so that things are more automated and less time is spent cleaning up things which could be done by the system - especially for new compositions.
lekro
regular poster

Re: [FEAT] Server side recordings transcoder

Post by lekro »

Carolus wrote:I've mentioned to Feldmahler. Not sure how soon something like this is feasible. We need to re-do uploading page so that things are more automated and less time is spent cleaning up things which could be done by the system - especially for new compositions.
Ah. Is there any way I could help?