Could the "Vittoria Aleotti" page, which includes compositions by "Raffaella Aleotti", be two separate pages instead?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

bbrolsma
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Could the "Vittoria Aleotti" page, which includes compositions by "Raffaella Aleotti", be two separate pages instead?

Post by bbrolsma »

ChoralWiki maintains separate pages for "Raffaella Aleotti" and "Vittoria Raffaella". IMSLP does not.

I recently contributed two transcriptions, Exaudi Deus Orationem Meam and Congratulamini Mihi, published in 1593 with the composer as "Raffaella Aleotti", and I plan to do more. This collection of 18 motets is significant, as it was the first book of sacred music by a woman to appear in print.

Works by Vittoria or Raffaella are located on IMSLP under the name "Vittoria Aleotti". For background on the confusion over whether this is one woman or two, review the short section "Identity controversy" on Wikipedia, which IMSLP refers to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittoria_Aleotti

Two sentences are very relevant -- "...many have written that it was almost impossible and highly unlikely that the same woman would publish two books of different music under two different names", and "After 1593, Vittoria is never heard of again while Raffaella gained tremendous fame for her musical abilities to perform and to lead."

In my opinion, separate pages for Vittoria and Raffaella, with music attributed for each of them, is more appropriate than having compositions under both names on one page.

With kind regards,

Bruce Brolsma