Plan to make IMSLP available as a whole download!

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

gchirag
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Plan to make IMSLP available as a whole download!

Post by gchirag »

Hi,

I have a plan to pay my tribute to IMSLP by actually downloading every score of every composer. I will bookmark all the blocked files which i will download once they are unblocked.

The scores of every composer will be put into folders with the name of the composer in Alphabets.

I know it's long but it shouldn't take more then a month or two.

I shall ask IMSLP for permission to upload it onto rapdishare.com

Can people give me also encouragement. It will alllow people to not only have access to the favourite scores but all of them at once.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The library is 50gbs, rapidshare only allows either 100 or 200 (for free anyway), not to mention it is very slow for free users to download. Plus, most people do not actually want to download 50+ gbs, nor would most want such a large chunk of their HD taken up.

As you know, there are currently plans to have the library turned into a torrent, so this is inevitably unneeded.

The benefit of torrents, is that you can pick and choose which files you want rather than download one large chunk. The torrent will be available in the future, but there are slightly more pressing issues for Feldmahler to take into account.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Thanks for the enlightment. Correct I found out torrent would be much more appropriate for this kind of system of scores.

Rapidshare would be a longer process. I have terminated the plan and will wait for a torrent.

Maybe we as a group could design a torrent which works.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

I have started the plan again as a torrent.

I'm creating a totally fresh torrent for IMSLP. As Yagan said you can choose which files to download so that what you will be able to do with the torrent I'm creating now.

The process has already started. Each and every score of every composer will be put in the correct order to make it easier.

I will also include a seperate torrent for the scores which are not currently on IMSLP but where before it got shutdown. If these might cause any problems please let me know.

I will also maybe as a surprise publish Piano methods for the really die hard Czerny and Hummel fans because those are totally scarce. Try finding them online and it's impossible. Even libraries don't have em. I'm talking about Czerny Piano forte Schull opus 500 where he for example tells his students to tranpose his exercises to other keys.

Hummels Complete Theoritcal course on the art of piano forte playing contains 1200 exercises or so which actually started the romantic piano tradition.

I have a lot to offer to IMSLP as a thank you.

Give me encouragement brothers. Torrent will be ready in less than a month no doubt.

I have lowered the mouse etc to cause less pressure haha.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Lets say people have Czerny etudes but not everyone knows how to practice them. Czernys Opus 500 is required to know how to practice his etudes because he said to play them either faster or slower and tranpose them to other keys.

To have a book which has the guidance of Czerny in text format is very rewarding.

It's the same for Hummel. If a person studies Hummels method they will surely become a virtuoso no doubt. Because it not only has exercises but also proper guidance. This is my thank you to IMSLP.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

I would advice you not to go solo slim and talk about this with feldmahler. As you are aware, the server is not having it's best day, and I'm not sure how much additional load it can take or how much load your downloads will generate.

There is also already considerable work put in creating a torrent, I don't understand why you would start on your own?
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

There are various reasons.

It won't take long anyway to create the torrent.

I have checked the torrent avaiable and it's not in order. Also I have many piano methods which i would like to include in seperate torrent.

I have my own piano methods written by myself which will also be included by as seperate torrent.

So it won't be just a IMSLP torrent but much more.

Guys you will have access to wide variety of music which I have gained from Adolf Henselts library also and not even Vienna can interfere because I have had communication with them well they only felt intimedated by me.

Very soon you will have secret books of Czerny and Hummel. They are scarce not even available in the real librarie. I'm offering you guys something not even available to the professors of today.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Why don't you upload them also?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually, if you are willing to create and seed the torrent, I don't mind giving you a list of files to download so that you don't have to download the entire site itself in order to get the files (and in the process perhaps tripping the anti-dos script). I assume that you know how to use wget or a similar program that can automatically download a set of files from a file list.

P.S. I second Yagan's question that it may be better to have the files on IMSLP so that it is centralized and the torrent can be properly called "IMSLP Backup Torrent".
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Yes I have put thought that I will upload them scores on IMSLP and produce the torrent.

I have only recently got to know wget program, if you could email me with some steps in using it i could probably just download the files needed.
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

Actually as I really want to help IMSLP with the torrent and as I'm very enthusiastic about it.

May somebody help me with wget or similar program so that i can automatically download a set of files from a list instead of downloading them one by one which is hideous really.
mcruley

Post by mcruley »

imslp wrote:Actually, if you are willing to create and seed the torrent, I don't mind giving you a list of files to download so that you don't have to download the entire site itself in order to get the files (and in the process perhaps tripping the anti-dos script). I assume that you know how to use wget or a similar program that can automatically download a set of files from a file list.

P.S. I second Yagan's question that it may be better to have the files on IMSLP so that it is centralized and the torrent can be properly called "IMSLP Backup Torrent".
I do completely concur with the idea of having a mirror image of IMSLP in torrent. At list, it might work as a backup. Is it possible to obtain the list of files to download or is it publicly available somewhere?

Great to have IMSLP back!

Pianoholic
gchirag
regular poster

Post by gchirag »

I'm half way done with it. Basically I downloaded all the files the old fashioned way.

Yes it will be a torrent. I also have many other scores which i had downloaded before IMSLP shut-down but i don't know what i will do with them.

I will also upload my own scores which are methods and treatises for the Piano.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It would be much better if you only upload files from IMSLP, or upload what you have to IMSLP as well. That way it can actually be IMSLP's torrent rather than your torrent.

Best thing you could do is upload them to IMSLP as well.
I also have many other scores which i had downloaded before IMSLP shut-down but i don't know what i will do with them.
If they aren't on IMSLP any longer don't include them, because the copyright is probably an issue.
pianovirus

Post by pianovirus »

Many thanks to all contributors to this project!
Are there any news regarding a batch download (or a torrent) of all PDFs?