More obvious download button

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

More obvious download button

Post by homerdundas »

I just had a friend tell me that it took him two hours to figure out how to display/download a score. To the uninitiated, it is not obvious how to actually get the work on the work page. Most, but not all, will realize that any writing in blue is a link. I guess for most of us, we just keep clicking on things on the screen until something happens - fine, but I guess not everyone is so 'adventurous'.

I suggest a simple change - simply make the 'name' - look more like a button - perhaps with a border. Also, would it be possible to have a mouse-over balloon pop up with 'click here to download'.

Has anyone else had similar feedback from new users?
imslp
Site Admin

Re: More obvious download button

Post by imslp »

There used to be a "download this file" text in place of the link, but Leonard decided that was unnecessary, and hence the current thing. ;-) I would agree that there should be *something* that makes people know to click on the description link (maybe a little download icon besides the text?). I know some people who have been confused (there's even a tutorial on some blog about how to download from IMSLP in Japanese I believe), and others who have ended up using the IMSLP index link to the image page to download the file, which really shouldn't happen.

The source of the template is easily modifiable for admins (the "header" entries for the file template are at Mediawiki:FTE:imslpfileentry I believe).
homerdundas
active poster

Post by homerdundas »

Further comment...

I personally *love* the clean design of IMSLP. It would be even cleaner if...

* the link to the image file was moved more distant from the description or better: only displayed to 'logged-in' users. This link is for maintenance functions after all.
* yes, a download icon would be welcome. Though I detest fancy graphics - a single, small, colourful downarrow - would be a definite asset beside the description field.
* also, as others have noted, clicking on the 'V/V/V' or other secret code - should lead to an explanation, or have a mouse-over description.
* is it possible to post a few 'test' examples of improvements? Then, perhaps we can comment on them. (I tried vainly to make some wikimedia code of my own to mess around with - then tried to see what the template for #fte:imslpfile looked like, and couldn't access it, so, no results :( ).
* while on this subject - it would be nice to have an extra short - single line - file descriptor for those works where we have multiple parts available for download. Having the present, two line descriptions, is unnecessary.
That's all for now, I think... Homer.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

colourful downarrow
Multicoloured!!!! :P
also, as others have noted, clicking on the 'V/V/V' or other secret code - should lead to an explanation, or have a mouse-over description.
Definitely.
scottorr
forum adept

Post by scottorr »

i can create the down arrow for the download as an image. would you just want it to be a simple square icon? Or something more elaborate?

Here is a simple mockup arrow I made that could be simply embedded into every page next to the description title of each file.

the background is the same colour as is used for that section of the template on IMSLP, so it acts as a "transparent" background.

I guess here's an example of it on the page that I whipped together.

Also, there could be a pixel word saying "DOWNLOAD". If this one was a little larger.

The one above could also have a little box around it to act as a "button" to the file download page. (Only thought of this after I had uploaded it already)

Let me know what you think of these, and I can change anything if there are any suggestions.

I picked red because its a great download colour, and it the deep red is one of our colour accents throughout the site.
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

While on the subject of changes, I would like to request that the instrumentation field be a required field. Those who browse new scores have difficulty with pieces for which no instrumentation is listed, and would need to download the whole file to see whether it is something they can use. This needless downloading is wasteful in countries where broadband is expensive and people have caps according to how much they can afford. It is also annoying. Any chance this could be added?
bsteltz
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Perhaps make the arrow green? Most download arrows I've seen are green.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

steltz wrote:While on the subject of changes, I would like to request that the instrumentation field be a required field. Those who browse new scores have difficulty with pieces for which no instrumentation is listed, and would need to download the whole file to see whether it is something they can use. This needless downloading is wasteful in countries where broadband is expensive and people have caps according to how much they can afford. It is also annoying. Any chance this could be added?
While it is absolutely easy to make instrumentation a required field, I am generally weary of adding unnecessary required fields because they tend to be incongruent with the ease of submission, and consequently potentially depress the number of submissions themselves (there is already a "general" instrumentation control in the Genre field too). If bandwidth was really an issue, I would suggest researching on Google first. Obviously I can change my mind if someone convinces me :-) It is also that with the global explosion of the internet bandwidth restrictions seem rather shortlived (or so I hope at least). I hear the UK gov't is going to require at least 2Mb speeds from internet across UK.

Also, thanks for the work on the download button. Just a little issue: the placement and shape of that download button seems to suggest that people click the IMSLP index link it is pointing to, and so might encourage people to download from the image page (which is not such a good idea for a variety of reasons). Is there another way to place or design that button so this can be avoided?
homerdundas
active poster

Post by homerdundas »

Hi Everyone again... I think we have discussed this now - do we have a consensus on changing the file download template format? I think we can make everything simpler and better by:

- adding the download arrow - green I guess
- can we also then move the file number to the right side of the page to avoid the arrow pointing to image page?
- we can move the 'uploader' name and 'scanned by' names to the image page - they are not useful for anything.
- the date that the file was added, is useful for people to check for new versions.

- I still have people telling me about problems using this site!!!

Homer.