Page Load Error

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

gacl
regular poster

Page Load Error

Post by gacl »

Code: Select all

Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact imslp.org.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

*  Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

*  Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network connection.

*  Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
Uploading large files is troublesome for me because of my slow connection, but the FTP works just fine for anything below 400 MB.

If a file gives me this error i'm just going to upload it to the FTP's root folder. Is that fine?

Gus

Edit: I just uploaded Dressler's New And Complete Instructions For The Flute to the FTP. It's clean and ready for posting.
gacl
regular poster

Re: Page Load Error

Post by gacl »

There's this rather fast connection that i can pick up from home (wireless), but, i'm wary of doing any password required tasks wirelessly (and with a unknown connection) unless it's https. I though about VPN tunneling but that requires two computers, and if i'm gonna tunnel to my own computer then what's the point? Am i getting this right?

And why am i getting that error message with only the larger files? Is there a time limit to uploading?

Gus
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

There may be a time limit; I don't remember putting one in, but it is possible that PHP times out after a while by default. What is equally possible is that your browser times out after a while too. Generally speaking, too many things can go wrong with slow uploading/downloading; that is why everyone used to have download managers. Unfortunately there are no upload managers, except for maybe FTP...

Unless you have sensitive information in your wiki account (something that I would greatly discourage), I do not believe using the account over an insecure connection is a big issue, as I really don't think anybody has enough free time to want to hijack a non-admin wiki account when they can just create one themselves. Remember, however, that you should NEVER use your wiki password as also the password for other sensitive information. Wiki, forum and other non-sensitive accounts should have a separate password from sensitive accounts.

If you are still concerned, you can even log-on IMSLP using the secure connection, and then switch over to the insecure one. After you login, your password is no longer used, and even if someone manages to hijack your connection they 1) cannot get your password, and 2) will no longer have access to your account if you log out (nor will they have access to future logins).
gacl
regular poster

Post by gacl »

OK, i just uploaded Dressler's flute method. . . nice. I did a speed test and this person's upload speed is 6 times higher than mine! By the way, where i live it is legal to use someone's wireless connection if they leave it open. I will, however, be a nice kitty and use it only when absolutely necessary (read:imslp.org).

I have different passwords for all sensitive information. I'm not taking any risks, though. I'm changing my password temporarily for these method book uploads, as i have a bunch of them. . . and they have lotsa pages.

Gus
gacl
regular poster

Post by gacl »

A related annoyance is that sometimes i'll be trying to upload a medium-sized file* with the "add files" form (from a work page) and it will fail. So most of the time i'll have to use the "upload file" page (bottom left link) and then go to the work page and add the PDF. Quite strange.

By the way, i no longer have access to that awesome connection. I made the mistake of uploading that one file around noon. I suppose it saturated their connection and they figured out that someone else was using their connection. I looked around in that router and it seems that what they are doing is that they are unplugging the cable when not in use. Oh, well. There's always that Panera Bread at the mall, i guess.

* Nomenclature: "Large file" means one i can't upload at all, "medium-sized file" means one that i can upload with the "upload file" page but not with the "add files" form from a work page, and "small file" is one that i can upload from a work page.