[Bug] Invisible contributions

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

[Bug] Invisible contributions

Post by kalliwoda »

I would like to thank "Boccaccio" for uploading numerous manuscript scores/parts from the SLUB Dresden (Fasch, Telemann, Quantz, Heinichen). There are real gems among these works for the Dresden court orchestra.

But I cannot find most of them under the composer page, even if they have complete work pages????
For example take yesterdays entries for Heinichen (IMSLP #35951 - #35958) - none are visible from the composer page.
I am not completely sure, but the same problem may apply to the uploads of Telemann and Quantz works some weeks ago: They are difficult to locate in the lists of new works, because the filenames are just a number.

This is an annoying bug, because the files are impossible to find if i did not dowload them on the day of their submission (of cause, can get these directly from the SLUB website).
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Re: [Bug] Invisible contributions

Post by vinteuil »

I can find them from the composer pages no problem...
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

And if you have IMSLP #s, then just use that search function.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

I know the IMSLP numbers, because these are so recent that I can find them.
Now, after you mentioned the search function I looked under Heinichen, and there are 11entries there, but if I open the Heinichen page from composer name, there are only three older entries but none those new ones (even cleared the cache in my safari browser) - strange!
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

OK, I'm using safari too and I cannot replicate this, even logged out.
Afp0815
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Afp0815 »

I noticed the same strange behavior. Works are missing on composer pages. After some tests I found out, that pages are missing as long as I'm not logged in. After logging in to imslp, all pages are available.

Examples:

Sarasate: 13 works without login, 18 works after login
Heinichen: 3 works without, 11 works after
and many more

I tested IE and Firefox, no difference. I tested a friends PC, who has never used imslp before, no difference.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

That's the cache for you.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I think I know what the problem is, though I'm not sure it is easily fixable or even worth fixing.

IMSLP caches all anonymous page views for 3 days for performance reasons. Apparently the Category page cache is not invalidated when a page links to it, so you end up looking at a version of the page created up to 3 days ago.

You shouldn't have this problem after a maximum of 3 days, which I don't think is too bad considering that IMSLP is mostly static anyway.

The reason I'm hesitant to fix this is because this is a bug inside MediaWiki and not the IMSLP extensions. I don't like to fix bugs in MediaWiki itself because it is more likely to have unintended consequences, and the MediaWiki guys really should be the ones to fix it since it affects all MediaWiki installations.

Let me think more about this.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I have the same problem -- logged in, I see everything, not logged in, stuff is missing.

Now that I know I should log in, I will do that, but sometimes, my computer re-sets and I think I'm logged in, but I'm not, though it's easy enough to check and log in, if I'm not. I guess the real problem is with visitors who haven't registered to log in.

Are you saying that after 3 days or so, there is no problem and we will see everything whether logged in or not?
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Did a little bit of checking:
It is for much more than 3 days, but affects only new work pages. Spot-checking way back at the moment everything works fine until IMSLP #34976, from IMSLP #34983 onwards apparently all works on new works pages are invisible unless you log in - that is from July 18 onward!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Hmm...I've seen this before, but it hasn't lasted so long (as in, I fire it up later that day and it works- or even in a few minutes). Maybe it's gradually getting worse over time?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I believe that is the fault of the mirror servers.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Can you give me an example of a page with this problem so I can debug. Thanks!
apschneider

Johann Gottleb Graun

Post by apschneider »

I've been noticing a whole bunch of downloads of manuscript copies of sonatas and suites by Johann Gottlieb Graun. I can access them just fine from the homepage, but mysteriously, they are not available from the composer page of Johann Gottlieb Graun. Only one piece of the over ten or twenty that I have seen in "recent additions" is there. Any explanations?