Information at head of page

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Information at head of page

Post by scottorr »

Its been mentioned before, but having the Information section, especially with its reworking in terms of size (and eliminating unentered fields), would be a great idea.

Not only is it good to have at the top of the page to get information on an unfamiliar piece, but it's also good for general knowledge of on an individual, sort of through a subliminal method. (glancing over it)

However, I was wondering, now that the information 'box' is a singular column, is it at all possible to put it side by side with the Table of Contents?

One way I found that could work for this is putting the information box first and simply putting the TOC as a floater box on the right. It's not the best method (in terms of always working) but its the only one I found upon first search.

Code: Select all

<includeonly><div style="float:right; padding: 0 0 0 1em;">__TOC__</div></includeonly>
Is the code I found to do this. I think it would work well because generally works with a longer table of contents (larger orchestral works, esteemed works) have more information, such as instrumentation and librettists and the like.

What is the general consensus about the move, and does anybody have any better ideas about spacing/placement?
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Re: Information at head of page

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

I don't think that putting the info box and the TOC side by side would work well. Think of the increasingly popular "netbooks" and their 1024px or even 800px narrow screens. This was precisely the reason for changing the box from four to only two columns.

As for putting the info box at the top of the page, let's hear what the others say. It's true that with the current layout, the box easily ends up somewhere in the middle of the page, which is not a very sensible position. Putting the box at the top could make the layout more coherent. On the other hand, it would push the actual scores further down the page.