Is IMSLP broken?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

jroyal
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Is IMSLP broken?

Post by jroyal »

Let me explain before I get yelled at for the said accusation.
Whenever I try to download a score form IMSLP, I just get a blank page.
I click on the title of the file I want to see, I wait for it to load, and when it finishes loading, all there is, is the backround of a pdf file.
It happened yesterday, and today, and I believe a few days before that too. It happened before, but there was a big 'banner' on the home page that said 'Scheduled Maintenance' (I didn't see it because I went directly to a composers page that I had bookmarked)
Now it is doing it again, but there is no 'banner' that warns that you can't download anything until the maintenance is finished.
I have tried closing and reopening my browser, I have tried restarting my computer, nothing helped.
I don't know if it matters, but I am using Google Chrome, but it has worked before on GC.
Is IMSLP acting up, is it my computer, it it the browser I am using?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
JR

EDIT: (Really soon too) I tired using IMSLP in Firefox, and it worked perfectly. So I guessing it was Google Chrome. Does anyone have an idea of what happened that would cause Google Chrome to not allow me to view the files?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Is IMSLP broken?

Post by daphnis »

What OS are you running and what is associated with opening PDF files? For best results, use the official Acrobat Reader for your OS and get the most current version (9.2).
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

jroyal wrote:Let me explain before I get yelled at for the said accusation.
Whenever I try to download a score form IMSLP, I just get a blank page.
I click on the title of the file I want to see, I wait for it to load, and when it finishes loading, all there is, is the backround of a pdf file.
It happened yesterday, and today, and I believe a few days before that too. It happened before, but there was a big 'banner' on the home page that said 'Scheduled Maintenance' (I didn't see it because I went directly to a composers page that I had bookmarked)
Now it is doing it again, but there is no 'banner' that warns that you can't download anything until the maintenance is finished.
I have tried closing and reopening my browser, I have tried restarting my computer, nothing helped.
I don't know if it matters, but I am using Google Chrome, but it has worked before on GC.
Is IMSLP acting up, is it my computer, it it the browser I am using?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
JR
You're using Google Chrome and I claim my £5. :lol:
jroyal wrote:EDIT: (Really soon too) I tired using IMSLP in Firefox, and it worked perfectly. So I guessing it was Google Chrome. Does anyone have an idea of what happened that would cause Google Chrome to not allow me to view the files?
If you Google 'chrome pdf fault' you get page after page of people complaining that Chrome can't cope with PDFs. For some reason the manufacturer just can't solve the problem. I use Chrome most of the time now but to deal with a PDF you need to right-click the file and choose 'Save File As...' then open it off your hard drive. If you try to open it direct (left click) it won't work and may freeze your browser. Firefox is the best browser to use in IMSLP (as you've discovered). 8)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Hm...I'm using Chrome and I never ever have problems opening PDFs. Try adding --enable-extensions to the shortcut path; the next time you open it, go to the About box and download the update (should be applicable). You'll get 3.0.195.27 (at the time of writing). Any 3.0 version is FAR more stable than previous versions. 1.0 was kind of a joke :wink:
masanee

Post by masanee »

How do I change my google chrome back to regular google ? I had regular google and for some reason I tried visiting this website called formspring.me
and it said i needed to upgrade in order to use it so I upgraded into google chrome but now I try using youtube and it says I need to download adobe flash player . Whats wrong with it ?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Why are you asking this question in this thread in this forum? Ask in the Chrome forums...