Automated Thumb/Preview files

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Automated Thumb/Preview files

Post by jujimufu »

I had posted this under "Other", but I think it belongs here more. And I couldn't find a "Move post" button, so I deleted the other one and started this one:
I was just wondering.. is there no way we can set up a script to automatically take the first page of a score, resize it and lower the quality, and use it as a thumb, and take the second page as the preview page?

Of course, it doesn't have to take THE first page and THE second page, but there could be fields in the file submission form that would say "Thumb page number:" and you would insert the thumb page, and then it could say "Preview page number:", and you could put the page numbers of the respective pages. And if left blank, it would assume you are either not adding a thumb, or you are adding it manually.

I do not -on any level- have even the slightest idea about how this would be possible, but I have seen a lot of PHP and other scripts that deal automatically with images, so I thought maybe it is possible to create (or find) a script that extracts images from a given PDF file, and then resizes them and renames them according to keywords from the pages for which it created them. It would make things a lot easier, and would give the opportunity to have thumbs and previews of not so great publications. Featured scores could get a different background colour instead, to make them more prominent.

Yes? No? Why?