Counting Downloads

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Notenschreiber
active poster

Counting Downloads

Post by Notenschreiber »

Last week (23.Oktober) I have uploaded a new edition of the concert for oboe and bassoon composed by Seyfert.
Until this evening 21.00 in our time here im Germany no downloads has been counted, whereas the downloads of
the manuscripts have augmented continously (from 50 to 63). Now ( 21.45) suddenly 19 downloads of the new score are
announced. How can this be explained?
BKhon

Re: Counting Downloads

Post by BKhon »

The odds are that people looked at the older editions, and haven't looked at the new edition you posted yet.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Seems to be a caching issue: First, if you are not logged in, as most casual users are, you will detect the new works only with a lag of 24-48 hours, and then there seems to be a caching lag, until you can see the number of downloads - they seem to update once per day. Really strange: among my own contributions, some but not all works have higher download numbers, if I am not yet logged in :?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

This is purely the work of caching. IMSLP has so many layers of caching that it is better not to think about it. Just know that caches expire within 3 days. :)
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I notice that when there are 0 downloads and then I download the score sometimes it still says 0 downloads UNTIL I open the edit page tab and then save it (without changing anything). It will then show that there is indeed a download.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Saving without changing clears the cache.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

It seems the download counter gave up on new additions to imslp on January 1!

At least, I have not been able to find a single page with downloads >0 from IMSLP #89025 onwards, even for works I downloaded >5 days ago. Clearing the cache by edit and save without changes does not solve this problem.
Or have a look at Derecskei_-_Sonata_for_Cello_Solo. Two movements have accumulated 36-68 downloads, the third movement added with an imslp #>89025 hasn't been downloaded at all????

The download counter seems still to work for older uploads, the numbers are continuously updated.
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

If I suspect caching is preventing a page from displaying up-to-date info I normally hit the history tab (or press control-H) and once the URL appears in my web browser, I stop loading the page, change the final “&action=history” into “&action=purge” and hit return. Quick and easy.

Cheers PML
--
PML (talk)
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Well, it is not a caching problem...

Clearing the cache (by "purge" or "saving without changes") just displays the newest number of downloads prior to the score imslp #89025. Not a single score after that (imslp #>89025) displays a single download.

Have a look at Derecskei_-_Sonata_for_Cello_Solo. After clearing the cache there are 72 / 37 downloads for movements 1+2, the third movement added with an imslp #>89025 still hasn't been downloaded at all????

Same with works I know I have downloaded at the beginning of the week.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I just found the problem, and it will be fixed when the new server goes online.