Problem with viruses on some links?

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Orglib
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Problem with viruses on some links?

Post by Orglib »

Hello, I'm new here. I would send this to the administrator, but a note says that he is and will be unavailable for a while.
Just recently several links have been flagged by my Norton security software as containing a virus, specifically the MYDOOM virus. Have any of you noticed this? The latest occurred this morning when I tried to view one of today's updates, the Nocturne, Op.647 (Czerny, Carl).
Norton's analysis cites the KJSL.COM web site as a threat.
Thanks.
BKhon

Re: Problem with viruses on some links?

Post by BKhon »

Hi Orglib,

A similar problem came about a few weeks ago with Carolus (the head of the copyright review team). We came to the determination that the threat is fallacious, and I wouldn't worry. The file you uploaded was a PDF uploaded by Schissel, who is one of our most prolific and trustworthy unloaders. Furthermore, the MYDOOM virus, if I remember correctly, is mainly transmitted through email. The risk of IMSLP files being infected with this virus are nominal. However, if more people experience the same problems, it should be brought to the attention of Feldmahler (the project leader).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

First, this post should have been filed under "Feature Requests / Bug Reports."

Second, the MyDoom virus does not affect PDF files; it is a standalone EXE file that infects computers via bogus e-mails with an executable attachment.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Also, if you use Jotti's virus scan tool, 0 of the 19 antivirus software found anything in the Czerny file: http://virusscan.jotti.org
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Norton is crap, so I'm not surprised. If the OP is still getting these warnings, perhaps it's time to switch AV products.
HaroldHare

Post by HaroldHare »

I have had the same problem. I am using NortonDNS, which flags the whole site javanese.kjsl.com as malicious, i.e. Norton are saying that there is some malware somewhere on the site, but not necessarily in the PDFs that we are trying to download. Ideally somebody needs to contact a sysadmin at kjsl.com to get them to raise this with Norton (or clean up their site).
Orglib

Post by Orglib »

I apologize in advance for re-posting again here, but since I posted here in error initially, the thread has continued here.
I just spent over an hour with Norton, and the problem is not on my computer. They cannot figure out why some IMSLP files are being blocked. About half of what I try to view comes up blocked, and they seem to be recent additions.
This is one example of the many:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Etudes,_Op.399_%28Czerny,_Carl%29

Are others able to view this file?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I can see that file fine - as I can every other file on the site I've downloaded. My antivirus software (Avira) has never detected any problems with either javanese.kjsl.com or the files hosted there, and I know for a fact that my computer has never had any kind of virus, so there must be something right there 8)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

OK, this is what happened: Norton detected that another server associated with KJSL.COM (not actually JAVANESE) had an attachment on a mailing list that includes the MyDoom virus in a non-active format (presumably for diagnostic/dissection purposes). For some reason that only heaven knows Norton programmers decide to ban access to ALL servers on ALL KJSL.COM sub-domains. It is just silly.

But I'll look into fixing it since I'm not sure Norton would be willing to budge.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

UPDATE: This should be fixed.
Orglib

Post by Orglib »

It is indeed! Many thanks.