[FEAT] Add microformats

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

pigsonthewing

[FEAT] Add microformats

Post by pigsonthewing »

I would like to see the addition of microformats to IMSLP.

Microformats are a way of adding simple markup to human-readable data items such as events, contact details or locations, on web pages, so that the information in them can be extracted by software and indexed, searched for, saved, cross-referenced or combined. More technically, they are items of semantic markup, using just standard (X)HTML with a set of common class-names. They are open and available, freely, for anyone to use.

I would suggest starting with the use of hCard for composer biographies, then publishers; then perhaps hCalendar for the dates of composition/publication.

I have some experience of adding microformats to MediaWiki projects, and would be happy to assist. It's best to add microformat markup to templates so that individual editors do not need to know how to use them.

I'm also happy to answer any questions folks may have.
--
Andy Mabbett
Birmingham, England
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

After surfing to that site for a time I still don't know what a microformat is. Can you give an example of a microformat on IMSLP and what use this would be?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Unfortunately I'll have to agree with Peter ^_^;;
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'm closing this bug due to a lack of response... feel free to start another thread if you want to reply :)